Venice / SurroundingsGallery
Although the territory's origins reach back into the distant past - witness the Iron Age remains and the typical Roman land division - it was during the Medieval period that the fortified centre of Novalis arose, acting as military outpost for Treviso to control the vast area bordering Padua and which was represented by the antagonist neighbouring Mirano.
Its history was almost immediately linked to the Tempestas, avogari of the bishop of Treviso (his bookkeepers/ paymasters), who transformed the town into a rural dominion. Until the end of the 14th century, with the exception of brief periods when it fell under the rule of Ezzelino da Roman and the Carraresi, Noale was dominated almost exclusively by them, but after the extinction of the direct family line it became Venetian until the advent of Napoleon in 1797.
While no traces of Mirano's castle remain today, Noale preserves marked traces of its glorious military past with the Tempesta fortress, constructed in the 12th century close to the river Marzenego. Nowadays the fortress plays host to important cultural events and, after two centuries of neglect, being used even as a graveyard, it has reverted to its status as a symbol of this artistic town.
Another cultural attraction is the town itself, with its Gothic porticoes and antique palazzi overlooking the main street which is bordered on one side by the Torre dell'Orologio (ornamental clock tower) and the other by the Torre delle Campane (belltower). In addtion it offers the Palazzo della Loggia which ishome today to the municipal council, the Museo Civico, and the museum 'Egisto Lancerotto'. The parish church of Saints Felix and Fortunatus conserves amongst other items an altar attributed to Sansovino, the altarpiece of the Assumption by Palma il Giovane, and a baptismal font from the 1400s.