The Abbey of Nervesa and EtiquetteUnknown places & works
The Abbey of Nervesa and Etiquette
In the province of Treviso there is a small town called Nervesa della Battaglia. Until the First World War it was simply called Nervesa ... 'della Battaglia' was added later after the Battle of the Solstice, or Second Battle of the Piave River, fought right here in June 1918, between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian army.
The town was completely razed to the ground and the beautiful Abbey of Sant'Eustachio was also destroyed, founded in the eleventh century by the noble Lombard family Collalto.
Between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the abbey became an important cultural center. Here were hosted, among others, the famous writer and pamphleteer Pietro Aretino, the poetess Gaspara Print (who dedicated her most poignant rhymes to Collatino from Collalto) and Giovanni della Casa.
Monsignor della Casa undertook ecclesiastical life, and in 1544 was appointed apostolic nuncio in Venice, where he found the ideal stage for his literary or worldly aspirations, and his palace on the Grand Canal became the meeting place of the best Venetian nobility with artists, poets and writers.
In Venice he introduced the Inquisition and took charge of the first trials against the Lutherans.
He fell out of favour with the death of his patron Pope Paul III Farnese and in 1549 retired to Nervesa, where he probably wrote the famous book Il Galateo overo de 'costumi, which gave Renaissance dictates and proposed a number of tips and rules which would allow a harmonic and simple life.
How to reach the ruins of the Abbey of Nervesa della Battaglia
From the square of the church of San Giovanni Battista Sovilla in Nervesa della Battaglia you see a gate with a sign indicating 'Abbey'; from the gate, a tree lined drive goes through the vineyards and leads to the ruins of the abbey, reachable in 10-15 minutes by a pleasant walk suitable for all. Be aware that the ruins and the driveway are in private ownership ... If the gate is closed it is advisable not to enter!
Venice: The reredos of the Chapter Hall of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice
Unknown places & works
When visiting the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice - perhaps one of the most significant monuments of the lagoon city - one is alwa...View
Vicenza: The Odeon cinema in Vicenza, one of the oldest in the world
Perhaps not everyone knows that in Vicenza there is one of the oldest cinemas in the world, still open today! Originally the hall was a...View
Venice: The bells of St. Mark’s Bell Tower in Venice
St Mark’s Bell Tower in St. Mark's Square is one of the symbols of Venice, but not everyone knows that the original building collapse...View
Venice: The Rialto Bridge in Venice and the Doge's daughter
Mysteries & Legends
There are many stories and legends related to the famous Rialto bridge on the Grand Canal in Venice, but few people know the one that h...View
Venice: The Doge Enrico Dandolo and the conquest of Constantinople
The history of the Venetian Republic was inextricably linked to the Doge's charismatic personality, but also adventurers and traitors, ...View
Venice: The three wellheads of the San Trovaso Church
In the charming Dorsoduro district in Venice, there is the ancient church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio, called San Trovaso in Veneti...View