Belluno / SurroundingsGallery
Sospirolo may derive its name from the Latin Sub Speronem, thanks to its position at the foothills of Monte Sperone.
view on map
Historically its origins date back to the Bronze Age - artifacts from this time have been discovered in Val Falcina.
Documentation reveals the presence of the Romans in the territory: at the end of the last century several Latin tombs were discovered at Oregne, and in the church of San Michele ai Pascoli and at Santa Giuliana at Mis a further two Roman tombstones were found. At that time the territory was a dependant of the Municipium of Feltre. Later, in the Middle Ages, the Bishop of Feltre extended his rights to the waters of the Mis and the fief of Sospirolo, and here took possession of various castles, the most important being at Mis, where in fact the church of Santa Giuliana now stands.
The territory of Sospirolo was also subject to the lords of Carraresi, Visconti, and, from 1404 until 1797, to Venice, who in 1411 demolished all the castles. During the Napoleonic period Sospirolo passed under the direct jurisdiction of Belluno, by the Treaty of Campoformio of 1797 was ceded to Austria, and finally in 1866 was annexed to Italy.
Among the area's attractions, in addition to the church of San Gottardo, now a national monument, is the monastery Certosa di Vedana, one of the most famous in the whole in Italy.
Other places of interest in the surrounding country run from Monti del Sole to the lake at Mis, whose uncontaminated waters are home to freshwater fish (marsoni) and crayfish, and other fish and crustaceans highly sensitive to any type of pollution
Need help choosing