Rovigo / SurroundingsGallery
An ancient land, rich in fascination and vestiges of its historical deeds: Lendinara is unquestionably one of the most suggestive cities in the whole of Polesine.
Lying on the Adigetto canal, it was in ancient times an active river port. It experienced many events in the course of the High MiddleAges: from the 9th century it became property of the Cattaneo family of Verona, and remianed under their custody for almost 400 years. During the 14th century it became the object of dispute between the Este and Carraresi clans, while a century later it began a rapid period of ascent which allowed it to become a highly developed artistic and cultural centre.
Land reclamation schemes were undertaken to limit the regular flood damage in the area, and from 1482 it passed to the Venetian Republic for 300 years. The fervent activity in the field of textile manufacture and hide trading produced such an artistic boom that in the 18th century it was known as the 'Athens of Polesine'.
Such unmissable monuments to this include the Palazzo Pretorio, the belltower, Palazzo Boldrin (home of the modern-day library), palazzo Malmignati, palazzo Perolari, the Santuario del Pilastrello, famous throughout Italy, with the monastery annex of Padri Olivetani, the Duomo of S. Sofia with its belltower, the church of S. Biagio, recently restored to its former glory, the church of S. Anna, the palazzo and gardens Marchiori and the renovated Teatro Ballarin.
It is interesting to note that Lendinara is also home to the Canozi, the inlayers of wood famed in all of Europe, and the birthplace of Domenica Montagnana, the master 18th century lute-maker, craftsman of the eponymous instruments such as violins and celloes.