Rovigo / Visit RovigoGallery
Rovigo lies in the Polesine, between the Po and Adige, along the banks of the Adigetto canal, enveloped in the mysterious fascination of an 'amphibious' nature in which man has for centuries tried to dominate, finally learning to live with it, respecting its power and unpredictability.
Its origins are in the High Medieval period: Rhodigium was constructed to a polygonal design with defensive walls. Through time the basic structure has been modified, though can still be recognised in the historic centre. Before ceding to Austria in 1797 Rovigo was the possession of the Este family (1194) and later of the Venetian Republic, periods which have indelibly left their imprint on the existing town structure and on its cultural/architectural value.
Among the oldest monuments are the castle with its two towers Donà and Mozza (one of the city’s symbols), dating back to the 10th century. The architecture from the Venetian period includes the celebrated works of Biagio Rossetti - Palazzo Roverella and the cloister of San Bartolomeo - and Sanmicheli, Palazzo Roncale, through which the city has augmented its artistic value.
Its merits can also be seen in a visit to the Accademia dei Concordi (1580), home to the library and museum which has gathered a highly important collection of works by 15th-18th century painters of Venice and Ferrara: Giambattista Tiepolo, Giovanni Battista Piazzetta, Luca Giordano, Giovanni Bellini, Alessandro Longhi, Rosalba Carriera, and Palma il Vecchio. Also worthy of visiting is the Museo Civico located within the Monastery of San Bartolomeo, for the archaeological and naturalistic interest of its documentation.