Treviso / Visit TrevisoGallery
A land found at the meeting place of the some of the greatest nautral beauties of the Veneto region, hillzones, fens, large expanses of greenery and numerous rivers, and which for this setting richly deserves its appellation of 'Joyous Mark', mark in the medieval sense of boundary.
Treviso unfolds here among lagoons and mountains in the triangle demarcated by the rivers Sile and Cagnan, a division political as well as geographical.
Its origins are probably Celtic - its name derives from tarvos, bull in Celtic, pointing to a possible bull market in the ancient settlement - though it was under the Romans that the city assumed a definite identity. Like many other Venetian municipalities, Treviso has undergone several dominations through the centuries: from the Longobards (in the 8th century), it became a free municipality before passing under the juridisction of the Romano family (13th) and Camino (until 14th), the Scaligeri (14th), finally ceding to Venice in 1389 and sharing its fate until being annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.
All of these phases have left tangible traits on the architecture of the city, in a harmonious sequence of buildings which skirt the waters and follow the centre. Of particular note in its eternal aspect is Piazza dei Signori. Among the many sacred and civic edifices which preserve the senseof history, with their many celebrated frescoes and treasures within, may be mentioned the Palazzo dei Trecento (13th century), the Loggia dei Cavalieri (12th), Duomo (rebuilt during the 15th and 16th) with its Malchiostro chapel, and the churches of San. Vito and Santa Lucia (12th), San Francesco (13th) and San Niccolò (13th - 14th). Also recommended is a vist to the Museo Civico 'Luigi Bailo' which houses masterpieces by G. Bellini, Lorenzo Lotto, Titian and Jacopo Bassano.
Need help choosing