Eastern Festival 2017
In Padova, get ready to experience the magic of the Eastern World!
From 08 December 2017 to 17 December 2017
- Bookable services
- Taxis & Transfers
Are you fascinated by the Eastern World? Are you are intrigued by the magical atmosphere of these distant lands? Well, if so, get ready to experience an unforgettable event in Padua!
From 8 to 10 and from 15 to 17 December, the exhibition centre at the Padova Fiere will host the Festival dell’Oriente 2017! Folk shows, concerts, photo exhibitions, food stands, seminars, traditional medicines and many other events to get to know the culture, history and tradition of the Eastern countries.
With the passage of editions, the Orient Festival has become one of the flagship events throughout Italy regarding the culture and tradition of the Eastern countries such as Japan, China, Mongolia, Indonesia, Burma, Tibet, … This is an itinerant exhibition that every year stops at some of the largest cities in Italy, including Naples, Turin and Padua.
By taking part in the Festival dell’Oriente Padova 2017 you will not only discover the wonderful world of the land of the Rising Sun, but you will interact and experiment for free with a variety of traditional therapies, as well as participate in fun tastings of local products and local cooking classes.
From morning to evening, in the varied traditional areas - the heart of the event - there will be more than 400 shows, demonstrations, meetings, courses and performances: at the Festival dell’ Oriente in Padua the show promises to be really amazing!
Let us have a look at the full program of the Festival dell’Oriente 2017, dedicated to the rediscovery of the ancient and the modern Eastern World.
Throughout the stages located in the many halls of Padova Fiere, the Orient Festival will present to the public the traditions of the East, Typical Ceremonies, and many shows of strong emotional impact that will allow you to fully breathe the magical atmosphere of the land so far away but still mysterious and fascinating: the classic Kimono dressing, Vietnamese contortionists, the Ceremony of the Mandala, the Chinese Circus, the amazing art of Origami, the traditional fabric painting, the Tea Ceremony, Bonsai care, traditional Thai massage, NO theatre, floating lanterns, and much more, await you on an enthralling journey to discover the culture, art and folklore of the East.
Festival dell'Oriente in 2017 will give ample space to the bazaars and the traditional markets - where, over 500 exhibitors will present their products to the public. You will be able to blissfully wander through coloured fabrics, traditional costumes, antique jewellery, handbags, footwear but also incense, scented candles, essential oils, amulets, tattoo, beauty products and food.
There will be tapestries, statues, vases, carpets and other special furnishings, all, of course, in classic Eastern style.
At the Festival dell’Oriente you will discover and appreciate the flavours of eastern cuisine through tantalizing tastings presented in the dedicated area or directly in the many booths, assist in the preparation of sushi dishes and actively participate in numerous cooking classes to be held on site.
There are so many activities on offer at the Festival dell’Oriente in Padova: you can delight your ears with the concerts of the most famous interpreters of the Rising Sun, being thrilled by the sinuous dances, participate in interfaith gatherings or conferences on wellness and health. In this regard, you can test for free the various massage techniques to rejuvenate your body and mind.
But let's take a quick look at the many new entries in the program of the Festival dell’Oriente in Padova - 2017:
- Vietnamese Restaurant. You will get in touch with the rich Vietnamese cuisine and be able to try famous specialties like Pho, the Vietnamese national dish, Goi Cuon, vegetable and fish rolls, and Bun Cha, grilled pork with fresh vegetables and rice noodles. At the end of the meal let yourself be tempted by a sweet treat with Che Xoi Nuoc, balls of mung sweet beans, or Sinh To Bo, a kind of smoothie prepared with milk, avocado and fresh mint.
- Thai Temple. The Eastern Festival 2017 in Padova will feature a charming replica of a typical Buddhist temple, where monks will offer prayers and blessings whilst the assistants will delight visitors with traditional Thai massage, considered a true medical treatment and a healing and regenerative therapy.
- Tibetan Prayer Wheels. Also called Chokhor, they represent one of the most important aspects of the life of Tibetan communities. These are hollow cylinders with a removable lid containing a strip of rice paper with a mantra pray. For Tibetans every rotation of the wheel corresponds to the utterance of the prayer contained in it. For this to happen, the wheel must be turned clockwise, similarly the perimeters of temples and monasteries are walked in a clockwise direction.
- Reproduction of Thuparamaya. A symbol of Buddhist belief, it is one of the iconic places of religious worship in Sri Lanka. It is a bell-shaped pagoda, painted in the purest white. The first Thuparamaya, built immediately after the introduction of Buddhism in Sri Lanka, housed the relics of Buddhah.
- Sri Lanka Buddhist temple. Another unique feature of the Oriental Festival in Padua is represented by a reproduction of an authentic Buddhist temple, where Sri Lankan monks will be welcoming visitors and share their knowledge and wisdom as well as moments of prayer and blessing.
- India Area. An entire area dedicated to this beautiful country and its most typical and traditional facets. In this area you will be able to get to know India's culture and spirituality thanks to the wonderful traditional clothes, an astonishing photographic exhibition and the various religions practiced throughout the country.
- Medina and 'The Thousand Nights and One Night'. Have you ever dreamed of diving into the fascinating fairy-tale atmosphere of Arab folklore? Walking around the faithful reproduction of a Medina, the heart and centre of the Arabian city, you will discover craft shops, historical monuments and daily and traditional activities. Still within the new ‘The Thousand Nights and One Night' area of the Eastern Festival in Padua, Italy, you will be able to admire a Berber tent with statues of camels, dromedaries, elephants and tigers, and take in the customs and traditions of these populations!
- Chinese Culture Area. Interactive experiences to get in touch with the vast world of Chinese culture and traditions ... The traditional Gong Fu Cha ceremony, traditional painting and crafts, ideograms, folk legends, typical clothes and sparkling court costumes.
- Ema wish plaques. In the Japan area of the Padua Oriental Festival, 2017, you will have the possibility to cast your wishes and hopes on an 'Ema', the traditional plaque of wishes! These plaques are used by worshippers to communicate their wish to the divine spirits... A Japanese calligraphy teacher will write your wish on an Ema with ideograms.
- Japanese Zen Temple. Not just tradition but also Japanese religion and spirituality ... In the Zen area, the reproduction of a small Shinto temple will be enlivened by monks with Zazen Meditation, Sumi-e or Ikebana painting.
The Oriental Festival in Padova, Italy, will showcase two additional festivals, running alongside and closely linked to the main festival:
- Festival of Martial Arts: exhibitions, workshops and stalls of sector products and accessories. Teachers and athletes will perform on stage and the tatami areas to entertain visitors with shows and seminars spanning across Aikido, Karate, Ju Jitsu, Tai Chi Chuan and other Oriental martial arts, not forgetting those developed in the Western world as a result of the influences of Oriental culture, such as Kick Boxing or Krav Maga.
- Health and Wellbeing from East to West: an exhibition entirely dedicated to health and well-being ... Treatments, massages, cosmetics, herbs, herbal teas, plus organic products, natural disciplines and alternative therapies. A great event dedicated to wellness in its broadest sense, with numerous stands, workshops and conferences.
This and much more in the huge and spectacular happenings dedicated to the Eastern Festival, from ancient legends to the most modern elements. Book one of our fantastic hotels in Padova and do not miss it!
From 8 to 10 and from 15 to 17 December, the Orient Festival is waiting for you in Padua! Tickets can be purchased online on the official website: www.festivaldell'oriente.net or directly on site.
Eastern Festival Times
8-10 and 15-17 December, from 10.30 am to 10.00 pm
Period: From 08 December 2017 to 17 December 2017
Event location: Padua
Contacts: times, entry cost and other info at festivaldelloriente.net
Need help choosing
Treviso: 'Japan. Land of geisha and samurai' at Casa dei Carraresi
From 04 April 2019 to 30 June 2019
Padua: Sherwood Music Festival 2019
From 07 June 2019 to 06 July 2019
Venice: Home Venice Festival 2019
From 12 July 2019 to 14 July 2019
Venice: 'Leonardo da Vinci. Man is the model of the world' at the Gallerie dell’Accademia
From 17 April 2019 to 14 July 2019