Fiera del Riso – Rice Festival 2019 in Isola della Scala
The most popular Italian event dedicated to rice and risotto!
From 11 September 2019 to 06 October 2019
In Isola della Scala, Italy: from September 11 to October 6, Verona is proud to present one of the most anticipated food events in Veneto, the Festa del Riso at Isola della Scala! The 2019 program combines taste and tradition in a series of unmissable events!
Now at its 53rd edition, the rice festival is the most important fair in Italy dedicated to rice and risotto, which you can find here prepared in a thousand different ways! Chefs from many Italian regions and Risotto experts will delight you with the flavors and aromas of their lands, preparing delicious risottos with the same passion and tradition of when they prepare it for their families. Next to the gastronomic side there is the commercial one, with a trade fair that has over 150 exhibitors... Parades in period costume, sports, conferences and shows will also offer a varied entertainment for all 26 days of the 2019 risotto festival in Verona!
The undisputed protagonist of the event is the famous Vialone Nano Veronese the famous Vialone Nano Veronese rice grown in the plains of Verona, which was the first in Europe to achieve the prestigious brand of Protected Geographical Indication, known by the IGP symbol, in 1996, from the European Union. As required by the regulations, only twenty municipalities in the province of Verona are able to produce this type of semi-fine rice. Ideal for the preparation of risotto, the Vialone Nano grows in areas irrigated with spring water, in the northern part of the catchment area of the river Tartaro.
Which are the origins of the Festa del Riso at Isola della Scala, Verona? The rice festival, which has now become one of the most popular events in the province of Verona, dates back to 1967, when the local people thought about organizing an event designed to promote 'garzega', a centuries-old custom according to which the owner of the rice paddy offered a hearty meal to his workers to celebrate the end of harvest. This ancient tradition is still alive in many areas of the Po Valley, where the end of the hard work of a whole season is celebrated with fairs and festivals.
Initially, the Isola della Scala Fiera del Riso took place on the Sunday after the first Friday of October and included only a small booth where rice dishes and good wine were offered. With the passing of the years, the incredible success of the Verona Rice Festival has led the organization to increase the duration of the event from a weekend to almost a month!
Now the Sagra del Riso has about 500,000 visitors with more than 150 exhibitors: in order to accommodate such a large number of guests, in 2011 the Palariso was inaugurated, a great open-space dedicated to Giorgio Zanotto - economist and politician who dedicated his life to the development of the area - with an original shape of rice grain.
The total exhibition area of the event is about 30,000 square meters and is composed of Palariso, Palarisitaly and some marquees erected for the occasion.
A key feature of the Rice Festival near Verona is the now famous zero kilometre: the rice used during the entire event is sown, cultivated and sold by family farms located in the surrounding areas, some even a few hundred metres from the exhibition itself!
The protagonist dish of the event, which is also the most served dish at Sagra del Riso in Isola della Scala, is the Risotto all'Isolana, invented in 1967 by Knight Pietro Secchiati. In 1985, it became the official recipe of the festival through a resolution of Vittorino Stanzial, at the time mayor of Isola della Scala.
Each year more than a hundred tasty recipes based on rice are prepared by renowned chefs who will also advise visitors on the right combinations with the best wines from Verona: the Rice Festival in Verona 2019 awaits you with paella, croquettes, sushi, pizzas and oven products made with rice flour and other delights that will satisfy even the most discerning palates.
The program of the 2019 Fiera Del Riso in Isola della Scala is really exciting and as always packed with events and great new attractions. Just a few highlights:
- 'Con i piedi nell’acqua' is an initiative of the Ente Nazionale Risi, during which, thanks to special visors, it will be possible to take a virtual 360-degree walk through a paddy field and a farmhouse to follow the work of a rice farmer, without whom there would be no rise.
- ‘Teatro del Gusto’: this is where journalists, chefs, bloggers and food and wine experts will talk about food, in an unusual way, ranging from the secrets of aphrodisiac dishes to the use of mushrooms and truffles in risotto.
- This year Pastificio Rana will be the official partner of the event and they will pay tribute, with unique dishes, designed and created exclusively for Isola della Scala Festa del Riso, to one of the specialties of Verona: rice.
- At Palarisitaly, an interactive exhibition on rice will fill be housed in the hall and in the streets of the town. The food and wine stalls will also showcase traditional tools, up to four meters high, and reproductions of animals used for rise farming, made by the artist Alessandro Mutto.
- ‘Spiga d’oro’: the oldest context of the Rice Festival in Verona reserved exclusively for the restaurants of Isola della Scala and dedicated to the preparation of Risotto all'Isolana. From this edition onwards this special competition will be dedicated to Giorgio Gioco, one of the founding fathers of this great event, which passed away last February.
- The Ferris wheel will return to the Festa del Riso at Isola della Scala, on which you will get a glimpse of the expanse of Verona’s rice fields and of the Sagra del Riso in Isola della Scala.
In recent years the Fair of Riso Isola della Scala - Verona, has proved very active in social work too thanks to the presence of associations working to raise funds to support social, cultural and recreational causes, and to the many events intended to support various projects for charities and solidarity.
The Rice Fair has become one of the most important events in Verona not only for the delicious rice dishes served during its course, but also for the variety of appointments that are proposed: at Risitaly the program ranges from cultural events, such as conventions and exhibitions, to entertaining shows for children and adults. In addition to rice, there will also be the option to purchase gifts from the kitchen and tempting local products.
Among the festivals and fairs in the Veneto region, you should not miss the fantastic Fiera del Riso Verona! From September 11 to October 6 Isola della Scala awaits for you with excellent risottos and tasting of typical products of the Veneto region. There will also spectacular shows, historical parades, sporting events and educational tours for younger visitors!
Between one risotto and another, you could also find a spare moment to discover the beauties of this city and the places along Lake Garda by booking one of our activities in Verona!
Period: From 11 September 2019 to 06 October 2019
Event location: Isola Della Scala, Verona
Contacts: for more information visit the official website www.fieradelriso.it
Venice: ‘Su e zo per i ponti’ 2020
19 April 2020
Venice: Livio Seguso Glass Exhibition at Murano Glass Museum
From 15 October 2019 to 24 May 2020
Treviso: Celebrating Veneto: the Prosecco hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
From 08 August 2019 to 31 October 2019
Venice: Redeemer Festival 2020
From 18 July 2020 to 19 July 2020