Jazz Festival 2018
Over a month of events and great concerts for the 21st edition!
From 13 October 2018 to 24 November 2018
From October 13th to November 24th the Padova Jazz Festival is back! Get ready for a completely new format, including over a month of great events to celebrate its 21st edition!
Great international artists such as Joe Lovano and Enrico Rava, Jazzmeia Horn, Chick Corea, Francesco Cafiso, John Scofield and Pat Martino, young key figures of classic swing and daring innovators will take turns to perform in the various locations chosen to host the jazz concerts in Padua 2018, including the historic Teatro Verdi, the MPX, small venues and the splendid Caffè Pedrocchi!
After the success achieved in recent editions, the various collateral jazz events in Padua will return as well, such as the live performances of Jazz@Bar at bars around the historic centre as well as in the neighboring town. There will also be plenty of artistic performances, workshops and exhibitions to appreciate jazz in all its forms and facets.
Program Padova Jazz Festival 2018
- The first major appointment of Padova Jazz 2018 is scheduled for October 13th with the Magicaboola Brass Band which, in the afternoon, will play in the historic center and then at the Palazzo Moroni Scuderie to inaugurate the NYJS photo exhibition: New York Jazz Stories. The exhibition features shots by Andrea Boccalini, one of the greatest contemporary jazz photographers, on his long journey overseas.
- October 19th: gala dinner at the Michelin starred Restaurant La Montecchia with a live performance by the singer Ada Montellanico.
- At Caffè Pedrocchi, where the Padova Jazz Festival has always found more than a welcoming vibe, the evenings will begin on October 25th with the renowned drummer Roberto Gatto in a quartet.
- The jazz Padova festival will continue on October 26th at the MPX Theater with two great international jazz stars, saxophonist Joe Lovano and trumpeter Enrico Rava, who will return to perform together after more than twenty years. They will play as leaders of a quintet, whose rhythm reinforces the dialogue between the United States and Italy, featuring Dezron Douglas, Gerald Cleaver and Giovanni Guidi.
- On October 27th, again at the MPX, another anticipated appointment of Padua Jazz 2018: John Scofield, one of the most appreciated guitarists of the last forty years, eclectic post-bop soloist open to the seductions of fusion, funky and soul jazz, will perform with his new band Combo 66.
- On the evening of Halloween, October 31st at Caffè Pedrocchi the lively Licaones will play, with Mauro Ottolini on the trombone and Francesco Bearzatti on the saxophone.
- The first international appointment at the Caffè Pedrocchi is set for November 1st with the giant of the swing genre, Scott Hamilton.
- On November 7th Steve Wilson, a saxophonist with an intense modern vein, who with his quartet ‘Wilsonian's Grain’ - featuring Uri Caine at the piano - will offer an interesting double set at Caffè Pedrocchi.
- Filippo Bianchini, saxophonist, is scheduled at the Caffè Pedrocchi with his quartet on November 8th.
- On November 14th Chiara Pancaldi, accompanied by two masters of the likes of Kirk Lightsey (piano) and Darryl Hall (double bass) will perform at the Caffè Pedrocchi.
- November 21st and 22nd, still at the Caffè Pedrocchi, the trio of the pianist Spike Wilner is ready to reignite the twinning between the Padova Jazz Festival and the famous Smalls Jazz Club in New York.
- The saxophonist Claudio Fasoli will lead his Samadhi Quintet, thus closing the list of concerts of the Padova Jazz at the Caffè Pedrocchi on November 15th.
- Pat Martino, one of the most iconic voices of the Sixties and Seventies, will be at the Teatro Verdi on November 22nd for the first of three great evenings that will close the Jazz in Padua 2018.
- Also, at Teatro Verdi, on November 23rd a double appointment will take place: Jazzmeia Horn, the promising talent of American jazz, winner of the Thelonious Monk Institute International Jazz Competition in 2015 and defined the perfect incarnation of the great divas of jazz; the saxophonist Francesco Cafiso, a young Italian musician who already boasts a long list of international successes, a personality in continuous growth and experimentation.
- The grand finale of the Live Jazz in Padova has been entrusted to Chick Corea: the myth of modern jazz will perform at the Teatro Verdi on Saturday 24th November as a piano soloist, where he can best express his rhapsodic vein getting the public involved as well.
Among the other events included in the calendar of the Padova Jazz Festival we also recommend:
- Porto Astra will host the original young novelties of the national and international jazz scene, strictly on Mondays: Sidewalk Cat Quintet - October 22nd; Emma Morton - October 29th; 'Battaglia... Sonora' between the Wonderbrass Jazz Band and the Mestrino Dixieland Jass Band - November 12th; Rosa Brunello and Los Fermentos - November 19th.
- The American band Irreversible Entanglements will perform at the Torresino Theater, in collaboration with the Art Centre of the University of Padua, on November 5th.
Padova Jazz Festival is organized by the Miles Cultural Association with the contribution of the Department of Culture of the City of Padua.
From October 13th to November 24th discover the city of Padua during the jazz festival: Padova is ready to offer you an overview of jazz in all its forms, including concerts and collateral events! Take advantage of the festival to enjoy a few days in the city, thanks to our tours you can experience the city in all its facets and visit its most famous landmarks such as the splendid Scrovegni Chapel.
Period: From 13 October 2018 to 24 November 2018
Event location: Padua
Contacts: for more info and tickets visit www.padovajazz.com
Need help choosing
Venice: ‘Su e zo per i ponti’ 2020
19 April 2020
Venice: Livio Seguso Glass Exhibition at Murano Glass Museum
From 15 October 2019 to 24 May 2020
Treviso: Celebrating Veneto: the Prosecco hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
From 08 August 2019 to 31 October 2019
Venice: Redeemer Festival 2020
From 18 July 2020 to 19 July 2020