The North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail, Cortina Trail & Cortina Skyrace
Three exciting Dolomites running race
From 22 June 2017 to 24 June 2017
From 22 to 25 June three of the most important and difficult Dolomites running trails return to Cortina d'Ampezzo: the North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail, a tough race among nature and fabulous scenery, a shorter Cortina Trail race and Cortina Skyrace.
Now in its 11th edition, the North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail 2017 is one of the most anticipated Dolomites running marathons in Cortina d'Ampezzo for lovers of the sport, a challenge that every year puts to the test runners, both professionals and amateurs, from around the world. An extraordinary night race that winds through the most beautiful mountains in the world, the Dolomites, a UNESCO World Heritage Site for their grandeur and their rare beauty.
The Cortina Trail 2017 celebrates the 6th edition of an exciting race that was launched to complement the North Face Lavaredo Trail and dedicated to those who want to experiment with a less challenging but equally spectacular route, of about 47 km, from a landscape point of view. From 2015, the Skyrace Cortina provides an even shorter route of the Dolomites running trail, of about 20 km, also through some beautiful peaks.
The start of the North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail 2017 is scheduled for Friday, 23 June at 11pm in the historic centre of Cortina d'Ampezzo…Corso Italia will be lit by the headlamps worn by the participants, forming a long and spectacular snake that enchants the entire city every year! For the Lavaredo Ultra Trail a path of 120 km with a vertical drops of 5,800 metres... A real strength test is needed for up to 30 hours! The route of the Lavaredo Ultra Trail Cortina 2017 will touch the most beautiful and spectacular peaks in the Dolomites: Monte Cristallo, Tofane, Cinque Torri and the ever-present mountains with their unmistakable shape that give the name to the Ultra Trail: Tre Cime di Lavaredo ultra trail.
The Lavaredo Ultra trail race is an incredible experience that engages hundreds of athletes: the competition includes champions who are able to cross the finish line in just 12 hours, but there are also amateurs and fans of the Cortina trail marathon, who will have a maximum of 30 hours to return to Cortina.
In addition to The North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail 2017, Cortina d'Ampezzo is also the starting point of other two races: Cortina Trail Run, which starts on Saturday, 24 June at 8am and Cortina Skyrace 2017, departing on Thursday 22 June at 5pm.
Participants in the Cortina Trail marathon will travel about 48 km, with a vertical drop of 2,650 metres, in a maximum time of 12 hours. This running race in the Dolomites is dedicated especially to the athletes who want to exceed the limit of 42 km, the typical distance of a marathon. After departing from the centre of Cortina d'Ampezzo, the Cortina Trail race 2017 will touch places of rare beauty, including Lake Ghedina, Val Travenanzes, Giau Pass and Forcella and the Refuge Croda da Lago.
The Skyrace Cortina 2017 provides a distance of about 20 km with a vertical drop of 1,000 metres to reach in 3 hours and 30 minutes. Steep grassy and rocky slopes will make participants laboriously conquer Fork Zumeles, the highest point of the race that will give them a breathtaking view of the Queen of the Dolomites, the Marmolada and the mountains that surround it: the Tofane, Monte Cristallo, le Cinque Torri (the Five towers), Pelmo and Civetta.
The requirements to participate in the Lavaredo Ultra Trail / Cortina Trail Run/ Cortina Skyrace are: to have had good training, experience in the mountains, a head for heights and suitable clothing to suit various weather conditions and temperature that can go from + 30°C to - 5°C.
Sport has always played a major role in Cortina: the Trail Race, over the years, has become one of the most important national and international races. The first edition of this fascinating race, founded as 'Lavaredo Ecomarathon', took place in 2007 with start and finish at Rifugio Auronzo over a distance of about 42 km. The organization was rather simple: path signalling path was just enough, with no refreshments along the way and an opportunity to drink water only from the natural sources. Year after year, the race changed dramatically changing the place of departure, the route, and the difficulty. Already in 2010 the route reached 90 km, the start and finish were moved to Auronzo di Cadore, path signalling was much more accurate and several refreshment points for athletes were positioned. 2010 also marks the booming enrolment for the Lavaredo Ultra Trail: 500 places sold out in less than 24 hours, that was successfully replicated the following year with 600 athletes registered on the first day alone. In 2012, with the arrival of 'The North Face' as the main sponsor, the Lavaredo Ultra Trail moved its logistics base to Cortina d'Ampezzo, lengthening the path until 120 km with a vertical drop of just under 6,000 m. In the same year, associated with the main competition, two running races in the Dolomites were initiated, Cortina and Cortina Skyrace Trail Running, both starting and finishing in the town of Ampezzo.
Today Cortina Lavaredo Ultra Trail is considered one of the toughest races and the most anticipated by athletes from all over the world, ready to test themselves relying on their own resources and their spirit of survival. Waiting for them will be a postcard scenery: Lake Misurina, the Falzarego Pass, the Val Renza, the Malga Ra Stua, Pian de Loa and Rifugio Croda da Lago, are just some of the fabulous scenery of the Lavaredo Ultra Trail programme.
And from this year Cortina hosts a race for children: on Friday 23 June, at 11am the first Cortina Kids Race will start! An excting race for kids up to 13 years along the beautiful historical centre of Cortina d’Ampezzo!
From June 22 to 25 do not miss the most exciting trail running races in 2017! The North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail, Cortina Trail and Cortina Skyrace: three fantastic Dolomites running trails surrounded by enchanted mountain scenery.
THURSDAY, JUNE 22
- 10am - Opening of the Expo and start of bib numbers collect at Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 04.30pm - Meeting of Cortina Skyrace athletes in the start area - Piazza Dibona
- 05pm - Start of the Cortina Skyrace - Piazza Dibona
- 06pm - Closing of the Expo and stop to bib numbers collect - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 06.40pm - Arrival of the first Cortina Skyrace male runner - Piazza Dibona
- 06.50 - Arrival of the first Cortina Skyrace female runner - Piazza Dibona
- 07.30 - Cortina Skyrace Prize giving - Piazza Dibona
- 08.30pm - Last Cortina Skyrace arrivals - Piazza Dibona
- 08.30pm - The North Face® Speaker Series - Piazza Dibona
FRIDAY, JUNE 23
- 08am - The North Face® Trail Escape - TNF exploration camp
- 10.00am - Opening of the Expo and start of bib numbers collect - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 11am - Cortina Kids Race – Piazza Dibona
- 12pm - Press Conference and Top Runners presentation - Piazza Dibona
- 02pm - The North Face® Hike with us - TNF exploration camp
- 07pm - Closing of the Expo and stop to bib numbers collect - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 07pm - Pasta-party (The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail runners only) - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 07pm - Delivery of bags for Cimabanche (until 9pm) - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 09pm - The North Face® Lavaredo Night Hike - TNF exploration camp
- 10pm - Meeting of The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail athletes in the start area - Piazza Dibona
- 11pm - Start of The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail - Piazza Dibona
SATURDAY, JUNE 24
- 06am - Bib numbers collect of the Cortina Trail athletes (until 07am) - Stadio del Ghiaccio
- 07am - Meeting of the Cortina Trail in the start area - Piazza Dibona
- 08am - Start of the Cortina Trail - Piazza Dibona
- 09.30am - The North Face® Outdoor Photography Workshop - TNF exploration camp
- 11am - Start of the Festa delle Nazioni
- 11am - Arrival of the first The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail male runner - Piazza Dibona
- 12.30pm - Arrival of the first Cortina Trail male runner - Piazza Dibona
- 12.45pm - Arrival of the first The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail female runner - Piazza Dibona
- 01.30pm - Arrival of the first Cortina Trail female runner - Piazza Dibona
- 05pm - Meeting with The North Face® Team athletes - TNF Base Camp
- 08pm - Last Cortina Trail arrivals - Piazza Dibona
- midnight - End of the Festa delle Nazioni
SUNDAY, JUNE 25
- 05am - Last The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail arrivals - Piazza Dibona
- 10.30 - Final press conference - Piazza Dibona
- 11.30am - Lavaredo Ultra Trail and Cortina Trail Prize giving - Piazza Dibona
Book a hotel in Cortina d'Ampezzo and be prepared for three days of adrenaline!
Period: From 22 June 2017 to 24 June 2017
Event location: Cortina d'Ampezzo and surroundings
Contacts: North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail 2017 and collateral races www.ultratrail.it
Need help choosing
Verona: Intimissimi On Ice 2017 at the Verona Arena
From 06 October 2017 to 07 October 2017
Verona: Fiera del Riso – Rice Festival 2017 in Isola della Scala
From 13 September 2017 to 08 October 2017
Venice: 61. International Festival of Contemporary Music of the Venice Biennale
From 29 September 2017 to 08 October 2017
Vicenza: 70th Cycle of Classical Plays
From 14 September 2017 to 15 October 2017