Jazz Festival 2019
A month of events and great concerts for the 22nd edition!
From 25 October 2019 to 23 November 2019
From October 25 to November 23, the Padova Jazz Festival is back! Get ready for a completely new format, including over a month of great events to celebrate its 22nd edition!
Great international artists such as Raphael Gualazzi, Monty Alexander, Kenny Barron, Vijay Iyer, Benny Green, Aaron Diehl, giants of the piano who will intertwine with the organ of Dan Hemmer and the battery of Steve Gadd and will bring their jazz concerts to Padua 2019 in the historic Verdi Theater, at the MPX, in the splendid Sala dei Giganti and in the Caffè Pedrocchi!
After the success achieved in recent editions, the various collateral jazz events in Padua will return as well, such as the live performances of Jazz@Bar at bars around the historic centre as well as in the neighboring town. There will also be plenty of artistic performances, workshops and exhibitions to appreciate jazz in all its forms and facets.
Program Padova Jazz Festival 2019
- The first major event of Padova Jazz 2019 is scheduled for October 25th with the singer Vanessa Tagliabue Yorke who, in the evening, will perform at the Michelin starred Restaurant 'La Montecchia' her song 'We Like It Hot', a tribute to the hot jazz of the 1920s.
- Saxophonist James Brandon Lewis will be on stage at the Sala Fronte del PortoAstra on October 28th with saxophonist James Brandon Lewis: with his 'An UnRuly Quintet', Lewis embarks on a sort of spiritual journey through music that transcends consolidated musical structures, but still remains as empathetic as ever and transmits waves of mysticism. On the same stage of Sala Fronte del Porto, on November 11th, the modern jazz of the trio of young saxophonist María Grand will fill the stage.
- The Jazz Padua festival continues on November 2nd at the MPX Theater with Raphael Gualazzi, a jazz musician who converted to the world of pop before returning to his original passion. He will have the pleasure of playing some of the most famous jazz and blues songs in his repertoire. He will perform with Mauro Ottolini, one of the undisputed protagonists of the Italian jazz scene.
- On November 4th, the octet Maistah Aphrica will blend together exotic and funk, hard bop and electronic melodies, afro beat and soundtracks, creating a polychrome ritual evoking Africa: musical spells in folklore style will give plenty of space to the audience’s imaginations.
- Guitarist Yotam Silberstein (6 November) and vocalist Mafalda Minnozzi (13 November) will arrive at the splendid Caffè Pedrocchi. With Silberstein, the now well-established lesson of bop guitarism takes on a new light thanks to its unparalleled virtuosity and stylistic versatility. Minnozzi will introduce its project Sensorial, an alchemy that combines jazz with Brazilian music. On November 20th, the historic centre will fill with the melodies produced by the trio of Aaron Diehl, group leader with a charismatic and portentous musicality in which each phrase contains innumerable expressive nuances.
- There will also be space for high-level pianism at Palazzo del Liviano, Sala dei Giganti: Benny Green (7 November), Kenny Barron (14 November) and Vijay Iyer (21 November). A child prodigy, Benny Green was always surrounded by the greatest jazz personalities, reaching their level at a very young age: a truly irrepressible talent who expresses his virtuosity in a joyful and playful piano style, conferring a voltaic charge to modern mainstream music. The name of Kenny Barron brightens up the eyes of every fan lover, and he is admired for the extreme elegance and clarity of his touch as well as for his deep culture that allowed him to dominate the modern piano language: in one word, a star player. Vijay Iyer is one of the pianists that is most heavily defining the contours of contemporary jazz: the vitality of his execution and the adventurousness of his compositions testify to the incredible breadth of his musical interests.
- The final weekend of Padua Jazz 2019 will take place at the Teatro Verdi. Here, on November 22nd, Monty Alexander will arrive, an exuberant pianist whose virtuosity marked a long period in the history of jazz, from the 1960s to today.
- On November 23rd, the spotlight will focus on the drums of the idol Steve Gadd, who will rediscover the pleasure of playing with an all-leader trio in which the organ-jazz will exhibit all its virtuosity. Alongside Gadd, two brilliant Danes: saxophonist Michael Blicher and Dan Hemmer, who with their Hammond organ will highlight the piano theme of the festival program.
Among the other events included in the Festival of Jazz in Padua it is also worth pointing out:
- Exhibition dedicated to one of the leading Italian jazz photographers, Roberto Cifarelli, who will play at the Palazzo Moroni stables from November 10 to 24.
- Book presentations introduced by Stefano Merighi of the Art Center: on 6 November, 'Mister Jelly Roll' by Alan Lomax with Claudio Sessa, on November 13 the 'History of European Jazz' with Francesco Martinelli and on the 20th the 'Jazz Area' photo book with Roberto Masotti.
This year’s season of jazz concerts in Padua is organized by the Miles Cultural Association with the contribution of the Department of Culture of the City of Padua, of Antenore Energy and in collaboration with the Art Center of the University of Padua.
From October 25th to November 23rd discover the city of Padua during the jazz festival: Padua is ready to offer you an overview of jazz in all its forms, including concerts and collateral events! Take advantage of the festival to enjoy a few days in the city, thanks to our tours of Padua you can experience the city in all its facets and visit its most famous landmarks such as the splendid Scrovegni Chapel.
Period: From 25 October 2019 to 23 November 2019
Event location: Padua
Contacts: for more info and tickets visit www.padovajazz.com
Venice: Livio Seguso Glass Exhibition at Murano Glass Museum
From 15 October 2019 to 28 February 2021
Treviso: Celebrating Veneto: the Prosecco hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
From 08 August 2019 to 31 March 2021
Venice: Palazzo Grassi and Punta della Dogana – 2020 Exhibitions
From 11 July 2020 to 31 March 2021
Padua: Van Gogh Exhibition in Padua: 'I colori della vita' ('The Colors of Life')
From 10 October 2020 to 11 April 2021