Verona Summer Theatre 2016
Shakespeare Festival, Verona Jazz Festival and other top music, theatre and ballet events!
From 02 June 2016 to 20 August 2016
From 2 June to 20 August the Estate teatrale Verona is back on stage! The historical festival of prose, music and dance dedicates its 68th edition to the 400th anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare. At the Roman Theatre, the Verona Shakespeare Festival in 2016, Verona Jazz Festival, Rumors - Illazioni Vocali and Momix - staged in the friendly and more intimate atmosphere of the Old Market Court in Verona, will be in the name of contemporary drama and dance. Be sure not to miss the Estate teatrale Veronese 2016, an event that continues to enchant thousands of spectators since 1948!
The Roman Theatre Verona schedule for 2016 boasts a total of 62 nights, and will be opened this year by 'Rumors - Illazioni Vocali'. Both events for the Verona Jazz Festival are included in the vast proposal of the Roman Theatre in Verona concerts for 2016.
Rumors - Illazioni Vocali
Now in its 4th edition, the music Estate teatrale Veronese 2016 opens on 2 June with Rufus Wainwright, Canadian singer-songwriter who, for the occasion, will stage songs inspired by the sonnets of Shakespeare. Rumors then continues on 18 June with Blacks Marcorè and Gnu Quartet, who will present a show dedicated too Fabrizio De Andrè, and will wrap up on 19 June with Diamanda Galàs, the Greek singer who tells the tragic love affairs that often end up in crimes.
Verona Jazz Festival 2016
The program for Verona Jazz 2016, now in its 43rd edition at the Roman Theatre, presents four evenings of great emerging artists and protagonists on the international scene. On 20 June Paolo Fresu arrives at Verona for the Verona Jazz Festival; on 22 June space to the great Ezio Bosso with his album 'The 12th Room'; on 23 June the Verona Jazz at the Teatro Romano pays tribute to jazz pianist Bill Evans with the trio of Joe La Barbera (drums), Dado Moroni (piano) and Eddie Gomez (bass); on June 24 appointment with Ornella Vanoni for the final evening of Verona jazz festival 2016!
The Estate teatrale Veronese 2016 has planned a series of summer events in Verona for 2016 also in the dance section that should not be missed. One of the most awaited Roman Theatre concerts is undoubtedly Momix. 'Opus Cactus', historic masterpiece by Moses Pendleton, will be staged 25 to 30 July and from 1 to 6 August. Momix in Verona bring back a show of great charm, enriched by an unprecedented tribute to the Shakespeare Festival, who had its debuted in 2001 in Verona. Also present for the Roman Theatre Verona schedule for 2016 is the nouvelle danse of 'Romeo and Juliet' of the Ballet du Grand Théâtre de Genève, on stage 19 and 20 August. In the most intimate spaces of the Old Market Court (Corte Mercato Vecchio), the Verona Summer Theatre - Dance offers some of Shakespeare's work focused on research and experimentation:
- 1 and 2 July Ersiliadanza with 'La stessa sostanza dei sogni'
- 9 July Compagnia Simona Bucci with 'Enter Lady Macbeth'
- 17 July Compagnia Fabula Saltica with 'A cuore Aperto' inspired by Shakespeare's sonnets
- 30 July Balletto di Sardegna with ' Tempesta', a national premiere
In the Old Market Court in Verona - 2016 the program leaves ample space for prose, in a setting of great charm and emotion:
- 4 and 5 July ' La classe non è, solo, acqua' by Simone Frasca and directed by Nicoletta Vicentini
- 6 and 7 July ' Gian Burrasca' directed by Pino Costalunga
- 12 to 15 July 'Ah Venice Venice. Bagatelle all'antica' by Riccardo Pippa and directed by Matteo Spiazzi
- 19 to 22 July 'Punto in Movimento / Shiftingpoint' Twelfth Night and directed by Roberto Totola
- 25 to 28 July Cosa desiderate che mi avete fatta chiamare ?' Retelling of The Taming of the Shrew by Jana Balkan and directed by Isabella Caserta.
Great anticipation also for the 68th Verona Italy Shakespeare Sestival staged at the Roman Theatre, which will present three show in national premiere:
- 6 to 9 July 'Julius Caesar' by William Shakespeare - directed by Alex Rigola
- 12 to 14 July 'As You Like It' by William Shakespeare - directed by Leo Moss
- 19 to 23 July 'Romeo and Juliet' by William Shakespeare - with Alessandro Preziosi in the role of Mercutio
Also as part of the celebrations for the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare's death, the Roman Theatre Verona events estate teatrale inaugurates a section dedicated to cinema. 'Lost in Shakespeare': eight evenings dedicated to famous films drawn from Shakespeare's plays:
- 8 August 'Romeo and Juliet in the snow' (Romeo und Julia im Schenee, Germany 1920) by Ernst Lubitsch and 'Silent Shakespeare' unreleased silent movies collage filmed between 1899 and 1910; for both projections there will be a live musical accompaniment.
- 9 August 'West Side Story' (USA 1961) by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins with Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer.
- 10 August 'Oscar Insanguinato' (Theatre of Blood, GB 1973) Douglas Hickox.
- 11 August 'Ran' (Japan 1985) by Akira Kurosawa, inspired by 'King Lear'.
- 12 August 'Otello' (USA / Italy 1949-52) by and starring Orson Welles.
- 13 August 'Ram-Leela' (India, 2013) by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, a retelling of Romeo and Juliet.
- 14 August 'Hamlet' (GB / USA 1996) Kenneth Branagh.
- 15 August 'Taming of the Shrew' (USA / Italy 1967) by Franco Zeffirelli. with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
The shows at the Roman Theatre in Verona, are in the original language with subtitles.
From June 2 to 20 August do not miss estate teatrale Veronese 2016: the program is ready to offer so many new emotions! At the eteatrale Veronese Momix, Jazz and Illazioni Vocali, Shakespeare Festival in Verona and the new film section, the shows in Verona Old Market Court, in the more intimate setting of this location, will offer prose and contemporary dance.
Book a hotel in Verona, taking in the magical atmosphere of the Verona Summer Theatre 2016! And if you're staying a few days in the beautiful city of Verona take the opportunity to also discover the charming surrounding areas: Lake Garda and Valpolicella with organized and comfortable excursions!
Period: From 02 June 2016 to 20 August 2016
Event location: Verona, Roman Theatre and Corte Mercato Vecchio
Contacts: information and tickets Estate Teatrale Summer Veronese 2016 at www.estateteatraleveronese.it
Need help choosing
Treviso: Prosecco Cycling 2020 in Valdobbiadene
27 September 2020
Garda: Gardaland Oktoberfest: the popular Bavarian festival at Italy’s number one amusement park
From 19 September 2020 to 04 October 2020
Treviso: Celebrating Veneto: the Prosecco hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
From 08 August 2019 to 31 December 2020
Venice: Palazzo Grassi and Punta della Dogana – 2020 Exhibitions
From 11 July 2020 to 10 January 2021