Vicenza Jazz Festival 2016
the most important music event in the city!
From 06 May 2016 to 14 May 2016
Finally at the start one of the most anticipated Vicenza events: New Conversations Vicenza Jazz Festival 2016! From 6 to 14 May great masters of jazz music will be performing a variety of concerts in Vicenza, Italy in the town centre of the Palladio city creating a Vicenza Jazz Festival in 2016 where art, colours and sounds perfectly combine together!
Since the first edition of the Jazz Festival in Vicenza in 1996, 'New Conversations - Vicenza Jazz' has collected enthusiastic acclaim for the originality of the project that has managed to find a perfect meeting point for jazz, historically considered as having a strong innovative impact, and the most classic places of the city of Palladio, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Since then, the New Conversation Vicenza Jazz Festival has become one of the most important Vicenza events. Even in 2016, for nine days, the Olympic Theatre (the oldest covered theatre in the world, built in 1585), the City Theatre, churches , historic buildings, theatres, auditoriums but also charming outdoor venues such as Campo Marzo and Piazza dei Signori in Corso Palladio will host Vicenza events and Vicenza concerts to offer artistic expressions as a means to social, musical and personal emancipation as a symbol of creative and civil freedom. There are also projections, presentations, exhibitions and conferences during the 21st edition of the Vicenza New Conversarion Jazz Festival 2016 forming a backdrop to the numerous music concerts in Vicenza and the Vicenza live music, which will see the involvement of other urban locations such as bars, restaurants, museums and book shops!
Here are the most important events of Vicenza Jazz 2016 program:
- 06/05/16 9.00 pm Opening Act at the Olympic Theatre: Reading with George Elliott Clarke & Robert Bonisolo + Joe Lovano Quartet Classic. During the first part of the opening night of the Vicenza New Conversations Jazz Festival, music and poetry return to dialogue in the words of the great African-Canadian poet George Elliott Clarke with background music of Italian descendant saxophonist Robert Bonisolo. Afterwards, the show of Joe Lovano Quartet Classic, very popular as they combine a refined executive expressiveness to an engaging repertoire of great originality. After the performance at the Olympic Theatre in Vicenza, the Robert Bonisolo jazz concerts will take place at the Jazz Café Bar Borsa Trivellato with a show by Marc Abrams (bass) and Mauro Beggs (drums).
- 07/05/16 9.00 pm Piazza dei Signori boasts a great jazz Vicenza concert with free entrance: on stage two important personalities, pianist Stefano Bollani and saxophonist Daniele Sepe, a major combination able to excite the audiences of Vicenza Jazz 2016 with a spectacle mix of entertainment!
- 08/05/16 9.00 pm another double set at the Olympic Theatre for the Vicenza Jazz 2016 calendar! The Swiss-born trumpeter Franco Ambrosetti and pianist Dado Moroni open the evening with a program almost entirely devoted to the songs of Roberto Livraghi; there will follow a tribute to the songwriter and American political activist Woody Guthrie with the concert of Francis Bearzatti + Trinissima Quartet who will present at Vicenza Jazz 2016 New Conversations Festival 2016 one of the most intense US rebel folk songs.
- 05/09/16 9.00 pm The Vicenza City Theatre presents the Power Trio formed by David Murray, Geri Allen and Terri Lyne Carrington. Three emblematic artists of African American jazz bring to Vicenza Jazz power in May 2016, with rhythm and musical virtuosity.
- 10/05/16 9.00 pm Olympic Theatre. After the successful exhibition at Vicenza New Conversations Jazz 2015, Paolo Fresu is back to Vicenza in jazz with guitarist Ralph Towner. A tested duo, the two artists have been able to weave their differences and the commonalities in original compositions mingling poetry, improvisation, pathos and dialogue. Saxophonist David Liebman Vicenza Jazz will open the evening on May 10 at the Olympic Theatre, to the move to the Jazz Cafe Bar Borsa Trivellato from 10pm.
- 11/05/16 9.00 pm the drummer Billy Hart group will perform on the stage of the City Theatre of Vicenza. Together since 2005, Billy Hart, Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner and Ben Street have now reached a great soloist and formal maturity.
- 12.05.16 9.00 pm 'In hundred metres begins the forest: nature memory war' a tribute show to literature on World War I, and in particular to Mario Rigoni Stern, during which the audience will share the stage at the City Theatre with the musicians Giancarlo Schiaffini feat. Silvia Schiavoni (vocals).
- 13/05/16 9.00 pm The pianist Brad Mehldau and his trio will bring to the Vicenza Communal Theatre a very enjoyable evening which will showcase at the Vicenza Jazz Festival harmonic elegance, contemporary repertoire and melodic touch that have made this trio famous throughout the world. At midnight the awaited return for the midnight concert, this year hosted at the University of Vicenza, with the performance of Daniele Bonavertura and Giovanni Guidi. Blues, Mediterranean, Africa, minimalism and tango melt into a restless and unpredictable music mix.
- 14/05/16 9.00 pm the final evening of the Vicenza Jazz Festival in 2016 at the Olympic Theatre with Frederic Rzewski and Enrico Rava. The first will bring on stage 'The People United Will Never Be Defeated!', the 36 variations on the Chilean song 'El pueblo unido jamás será vencido', symbol of the struggle for the return to democracy; the second will be performing with his charismatic newly formed quartet.
Vicenza Italy events and Jazz music concerts in Vicenza are included in the wide cultural program sponsored by the City of Vicenza, Department of Development, and the Foundation Teatro Comunale Città di Vicenza, in co-production with Trivellato Mercedes Benz and in collaboration with the Bar Borsa. The artistic direction of Vicenza Jazz 2016 - New Conversations is again headed by Riccardo Brazzale. In addition to the full schedule of concerts, events Vicenza Jazz include art exhibitions, Vicenza events, workshops and film and video reviews that involve the entire city for the entire duration of the event.
This 21st edition of the Vicenza Jazz Festival should not to be missed! Take advantage of the full program of the event to organize a few days in Vicenza: book your hotel in Vicenza and discover the beautiful city of Palladio!
Vicenza Jazz dates: from 6 to 14 May 2016
For info and Vicenza Jazz 2016 full program: www.vicenzajazz.org
Period: From 06 May 2016 to 14 May 2016
Event location: Vicenza
Need help choosing
Vicenza: Asiago Fiocchi di Luce. Fireworks and lots of fun for the most exciting pyromusical competition in the Veneto region.
From 10 February 2023 to 12 February 2023
Venice: Valentine's Day in Venice. Tips and ideas for couples to celebrate.
14 February 2023
Padua: Futurism. The birth of the avant-garde 1910-1915. An exhibition in Padua at Palazzo Zabarella.
From 01 October 2022 to 26 February 2023