Castelbrando in Cison di ValmarinoUnknown places & works
Castelbrando in Cison di Valmarino
The province of Treviso offers its visitors many places steeped in history and imbued with charm ... One of these is definitely Castelbrando, in the town of Cison di Valmarino (Treviso).
Castelbrando stands on the slopes of Mount Castello, overlooking the villages of Valmareno and Cison, in an area inhabited by Paleoveneto populations and later also by the Roman and the Ostrogoths.
The construction of a proper fortification started in the Middle Ages during the invasions of the Hungarians. In 926, it became the seat of a small fiefdom which was under the control of various Lords until it was conquered by the Republic of Venice, which in 1436 gave it to Brandolino IV Brandolini, from Forlì, and to Gattamelata, mercenary leaders at the service of the Republic. Subsequently, Gattamelata, on account of a military promotion, relinquished it in full to the former.
Venetian domination brought a long period of peace and, having ceased military functions, between the 16th and 18th centuries, Castelbrando was adapted to the needs of the Brandolinis. The fortress was then transformed into a stately palace and adapted to the style of the Venetian villas. An interesting and, at the time, innovative central heating system was also constructed.
The counts owned the castle until 1959, when they sold it to the Salesians of Don Bosco, who used it as a seminary and a place of retreat. It was then sold on by these in 1997 to the businessman Massimo Colomban, and recently restored. Today it houses a hotel.
Castelbrando is included in the stages of our original private tour in the Marca Trevigiana – the area around Treviso – with departures from Venice! Contact us now to book an exciting excursion around Treviso and its beautiful province ...
Padua: The royal autographs of Catajo, a castle of wonders on the Euganean Hills
Catajo, a castle of wonders on the Euganean Hills a few kilometers from Padua, is a place full of stories to tell, mysteries, enigmas a...View
Venice: The Puppet Theater in Carlo Goldoni’s museum in Venice
Unknown places & works
Since 1953 the beautiful Palazzo Centani, the San Polo district, has housed a museum dedicated to theater and the famous Venetian playw...View
Vicenza: The Cryptoporticus of Piazza Duomo in Vicenza
Unknown places & works
Vicenza is famous all over the world for its sixteenth-century monuments by the great architect Andrea Palladio and is a UNESCO heritag...View
Venice: A high relief of Hercules on the façade of Tintoretto’s house
Mysteries & Legends
In the Cannaregio district in Venice stands the house of the famous painter Jacopo Robusti, known as 'Tintoretto' (1519-1594). On the f...View