The Chapel of the Holy Face in the abandoned Church Dei Servi in VeniceUnknown places & works
The Chapel of the Holy Face in the abandoned Church Dei Servi in Venice
In the Cannaregio district in Venice, once stood the Church Dei Servi di Maria, which is a majestic Gothic building with a convent where the famous theologian Paolo Sarpi lived.
This extraordinary complex was destroyed in 1813 and very little of it remains today, including the Chapel of the Holy Face.
Erected in 1360 by the community of Lucca, because a large group of political exiles had moved to Venice in 1317, this chapel was consecrated in 1376 and a copy of the Holy Face was here worshipped (now preserved in the museum of the Patriarchal Seminary), consisting of a wooden crucifix that, according to legend, was not made by human hands in the aftermath of the Deposition from the Cross. This crucifix is now worshipped in the Cathedral of St Martin in Lucca. Despite being stripped in the 19th century, the chapel still retains the splendid original ceiling with images of the Fathers of the Church and the symbols of the four Evangelists, probably the work of the Venetian painter Nicolò Semitecolo (dating back to the second half of the 14th century).
The Chapel of the Holy Face was saved from demolition of the large complex of the Servi and initially became a warehouse. In 1859, it was acquired by the abbot Daniel Canal and Anna Maria Marovich to be converted into the church of the Institute for the rescue of women released from prison. In the '80s, following the closure of the Marovich Institute, the Santa Fosca Student House was created here, which in fact, still looks after the chapel.
The Chapel of the Holy Face and many other fascinating and relatively unknown places of interest await you in Venice for an unusual and unprecedented guided tour away from the usual tourist routes of the historic centre. Francesca, our brilliant guide, can arrange for an unusual and secret private visit to Venice!
Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe
Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...View
Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district
The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...View
Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'
Mysteries & Legends
Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...View
Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese
We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...View
Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden
Unknown places & works
Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...View
Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal
Mysteries & Legends
One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...View
Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona
One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...View