The cloister of Venice Patriarchal SeminaryUnknown places & works
The cloister of Venice Patriarchal Seminary
The palace located next to the wonderful Salute Basilica on the Grand Canal houses Venice Patriarchal Seminary, designed by famous Italian architect Baldassarre Longhena in 1669 to host the monastery of the Somascan Fathers.
In 1810, after the suppression of all religious congregations ordered by Napoleon, the building became a State property and the Patriarchal Seminary was moved there in 1818.
From then on, Canon Giannantonio Moschini started to collect not only gravestone and epigraph fragments coming from the churches that were demolished or suppressed in those years, but also many archaeological pieces of different origins.
This is how the cloister of the former monastery became an incredible open-air museum, where Venetian history is told by its stones.
For example, there is a Roman sepulchral altar (probably coming from Altino), which was then modified to add a ship with the Crusades sail; Roman milestones found in the Belltower foundations of San Pietro di Castello, the ancient cathedral of Venice; the tombstones of old knights and dignitaries of the Venice Republic within Gothic frames; the headstone of famous 16th – century scholar Tommaso Rangone, the astrologist who forecast a new deluge in 1524 and wrote a manual with tips to live up to 120 years; the Renaissance statue of St. Marina, which decorated the main altar of the church dedicated to the same saint and was annually visited by the Doge before being turned into a hostaria and finally destroyed, etc.
The cloister of Venice Patriarchal Seminary can be visited every day together with the magnificent Manfrediana Art Gallery.
If you found this post interesting and would like to discover other extraordinary unusual places of Venice, the editor of this popular section will organise a tailor-made itinerary just for you!
Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe
Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...View
Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district
The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...View
Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'
Mysteries & Legends
Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...View
Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese
We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...View
Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden
Unknown places & works
Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...View
Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal
Mysteries & Legends
One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...View
Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona
One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...View