The library of the Church of San Francesco della Vigna in VeniceHistorical Curiosities
The library of the Church of San Francesco della Vigna in Venice
Far from the usual sightseeing sites, in the popular Castello district in Venice, one can visit the beautiful church of San Francesco della Vigna
The complex was started in 1253 when the son Marco of the Doge Pietro Ziani gave a piece of land with a vineyard on it (hence the name of the church: Vigna or vineyard) to a group of Franciscan monks.
The monastery is also famous for its library, of which there are reliable accounts already in 1437. Between the 16th and the 18th century it enjoyed a good reputation, both for the texts preserved and for the activities connected with it, such as public theology lectures and the meetings of the Academy for Church Studies.
Following the suppressions of the 19th century and the transformation of the convent into barracks, the assets of the library were largely dispersed, but with the return of the Franciscan community, after the second half of the 19th century, the library was restored thanks to bequests and donations of religious and lay people.
Since 1989, the monastery has been home to the San Bernardino Institute of Ecumenical Studies and in 2001 some old collections that belonged to two deceased monks and few suppressed Franciscan monasteries were included in the library.
The current collection of books of the library consists of an ancient collection of about 30,000 volumes including chorals, manuscripts, incunabula, books from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, and a modern collection of about 80,000 works mostly on religious subjects.
The library can also be viewed with the aid of a guide. Please contact us by email for more information and to check the availability of our guides for a private guided tour of the church and the library of San Francesco della Vigna in Venice.
Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe
Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...View
Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district
The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...View
Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'
Mysteries & Legends
Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...View
Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese
We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...View
Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden
Unknown places & works
Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...View
Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal
Mysteries & Legends
One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...View
Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona
One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...View