Hidden treasures

Remains of the Casino of Tron Palace in San Stae

Unknown places & works
giardino-palazzo-tron-venezia

Remains of the Casino of Tron Palace in San Stae

One of the premises of the University of Architecture of Venice (IUAV) is housed in the famous Tron building, near the Church of San Stae.

The building, which overlooks the Grand Canal, was built in the second half of the 1500s by a student of the famous architect Jacopo Sansovino and still retains traces of the glories of the Tron family, one of the richest of the Venice Republic.

In the lush garden there was once a casino, a hall for receptions built during the 1700s, when Tron was at the height of glory and Andrea Tron, procurator of St Mark's, was called 'el Paron' (the master), to emphasize that everything in Venice passed into his hands.

The casino was placed in the bottom of the garden and was destroyed in the early 1800s with the death of the last Tron, Cecilia. It was the headquarters of the triumphs of another Cecilia, wife of Francis, (the brother of 'Paron' in Venice Andrea Tron) that went down in history for her libertine life... She was the lover of the famous Count of Cagliostro and many others! In 1782, when she rented her seat at the San Benetto Theatre to the Grand Duke of Russia at a very high price. A satire in the form of an epigram began to circulate saying ‘E brava la Trona / la vende el palco più caro della mona'; the noblewoman was absolutely not offended by the allusion to her lust for she answered: 'I do not sell that, I give it away!'.

The 1700s went down in history as being the most transgressive and lascivious century in the history of the Venice Republic. If you are interested in the subject, venetoinside.com offers a different and unique private walking tour Seductive Venice: discover ancient Venetian vices and secrets! In the company of an expert local guide, you will retrace vices and secrets of the past of the Venice Republic visiting areas and buildings suspended between history and legends.

By Insidecom Editorial Staff

Latest posts

Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe

prospero_alpini
Big Names

Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...

View

Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district

ponte-dei-pugni
Historical Curiosities

The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...

View

Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'

sotoportego-de-la-peste
Mysteries & Legends

Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...

View

Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese

fabbrica-cordiandoli-carnevale
Local Traditions

We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...

View

Top posts

Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden

giardino-biodiversità
Unknown places & works

Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...

View

Vicenza: The Bissara Tower in Piazza dei Signori

torre-bissara-vicenza
Historical Curiosities

One of the most evocative places in Vicenza is certainly Piazza dei Signori, overlooked by the famous Basilica Palladiana, the work of ...

View

Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal

palazzo-loredan
Mysteries & Legends

One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...

View

Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona

cangrande
Big Names

One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...

View