Hidden treasures

The Bridge of the Alpini in Bassano del Grappa

Historical Curiosities
Ponte-degli-Alpini-Bassano

The Bridge of the Alpini in Bassano del Grappa

If you are passionate about bridges, you cannot miss out on a visit to the Bridge of the Alpini in Bassano del Grappa, in the Province of Vicenza!

The bridge was first documented in 1209, a wooden structure on pylons with a roof cover that constituted the main communication route between Bassano and Vicenza.

Being at the centre of the frequent fights amongst rival factions, it was destroyed and rebuilt several times until, in 1567, after yet another collapse due to the flooding of the river Brenta, the design of a new bridge was commissioned to the great architect Andrea Palladio. Palladio’s project envisaged the construction of a stone bridge in the guise of the ancient Roman ones, but the city council rejected it and ordered the architect not to deviate too much from the original structure.

In the summer of 1569 Palladio presented a second project: a visually striking wooden bridge recalling the previous structure, although radically renewed for the proposed technical and structural solutions, with 5 spans that rested on four intermediate pylons.

The Palladian structure survived for almost two hundred years, collapsing only after the devastating flood of the river Brenta on August 19, 1748. The bridge was then rebuilt by Bartolomeo Ferracina faithfully following Palladio’s design.

In 1813 the bridge was burned down by the Viceroy Eugenio di Beauharnais and later rebuilt by Angelo Casarotti, in 1821, again maintaining its earlier shape.

During the First World War the bridge was crossed by the Italian troops of General Luigi Cadorna on their way to defend the territories of the area of Sette Comuni.

On February 17, 1945, during an action of the partisans, the bridge was again destroyed and later rebuilt according to the original design of Palladio, at the hands of the Alpini Troops... This is the why it is now called the Bridge of the Alpini!

The beautiful town of Bassano del Grappa is included in a fascinating daily excursion from Venice that will also lead you to the discovery of Asolo and Marostica!

By Insidecom Editorial Staff

Latest posts

Venice: The Church of San Martino

Chiesa_di_San_Martino_Venezia
Local Traditions

St. Martin, bishop of Tours, is one of the most famous Saints of Christianity, and was also one of the most revered Saints in the Middl...

View

Treviso: The ghost of Bianca di Collalto

castello-collalto
Mysteries & Legends

On the night between October 31 and November 1, telling a scary ghost story is a must... We have one related to the castle of Collalto,...

View

Venice: Admiral Angelo Emo’s monument in the Naval historical museum

angelo-emo
Unknown places & works

The historic naval museum of Venice, which has just reopened after extensive restoration work, is the ideal place for those interested ...

View

Venice: The portraits of Francesco Querini and Paola Priuli at the Querini Stampalia Foundation

francesco-querini-palma-il-vecchio
Big Names

The Fondazione Querini Stampalia Museum in Venice is a unique place to learn about Venice at the time of the Serenissima Republic. In t...

View

Top posts

Padua: Jacopo Marcello, the Captain who shouldn’t have died

ca-marcello
Big Names

Ca’ Marcello in Piombino Dese, Italy is a beautiful eighteenth-century Venetian villa still inhabited today by the Marcello Counts, a...

View

Venice: 'Il Paradiso' by Jacopo Tintoretto at the Doge’s Palace

paradiso-tintoretto
Historical Curiosities

During the visit to the Doge's Palace, one of the most beguiling halls is certainly the Great Council Chamber, a symbol of the thousand...

View

Treviso: The Jewish cemetery in Conegliano

cimitero-conegliano
Unknown places & works

Not everyone knows that the city of Conegliano was once home to one of the most important Jewish communities in the Veneto region, both...

View

Verona: The crocodile in San Michele Extra in Verona

coccodrillo-verona
Mysteries & Legends

Built by the famous architect Michele Sanmicheli starting in 1559, to house a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary, the Sanctuary of Sant...

View