The collections of the Convent of St. John in Verdara in PaduaUnknown places & works
The collections of the Convent of St. John in Verdara in Padua
The most beautiful museum in Padua is undoubtedly the Eremitani museum, created in 1895 to house the city's collections.
The original section of the Municipal Museum of the Hermits consists of an incredible collection from the monastery of St. John in Verdara.
In the hands of the Laterani since the 1200s, the church boasts an incredible collection of objects created by the monks over the centuries: in addition to the library, there was also a valuable collection of ‘portraits of distinguished men made in metal, marble, ivory and wax'; a rich collection of ancient ivories; both ancient and modern bronzes; a precious art gallery; antique vases, idols and statues of various ancient and modern nations; many cameos and carved stones; lamps and burial urns and finally weights and ancient seals.
The collection also included minerals, fossils and crustaceans, corals and sea fruits... mathematical, astronomical and optical tools; and an abundant collection of medals.
Among the wax busts the one of Titian stands out and among the canvas paintings, the Emmaus Supper by Piazzetta (now in Cleveland) and works by Girolamo Forabosco and Andrea Vicentino. The peak of the collection was added in 1711 when the church received the sixteenth-century collection of Marco Mantova Bonavides.
In 1782 the Venetian Republic abolished the monastery and the collections began to be dispersed.
The most valuable assets of the library were taken to St Mark’s in Venice while the city of Padua kept the others, adding them to the collections of the University Library of Padua, while the antique classical objects passed to the collections of the St Mark’s Library (now the Archaeological Museum in St Mark’s Square).
The rest remained in Padua at the Natural History Museum and the Public Museum, established as early as 1736, and also at the Physics Laboratory and the Observatory, while the paintings and sculptures became civic collections and hence reached the Museum of the Hermits.
To see the works that are now kept in Venice you can conveniently buy online a ticket for ‘St Mark's Square Museums' - which includes a visit to the Doge’s Palace and the integrated Correr Museum itinerary, the Archaeological Museum and State Rooms of St Mark’s National Library - whereas if you wish to admire those preserved at the Eremitani Museum we suggest you to book a private guided visit of Padua with our expert guides!
Venice: Andrea Palladio’s Tablino at the Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice
More than simply the rooms where many masterpieces are exhibited, the Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice are a work of art on their ow...View
Venice: The 'Naval Battle' by Tintoretto at Doge’s Palace
The ceiling of the Doge's Palace, in addition to being the largest wooden suspended ceiling in the world, is a real trove of painting m...View
Venice: The tomb of Doge Andrea Gritti in the church of San Francesco della Vigna
For the few daring visitors who decide to head to the Castello district, away from the crowds swarming around Piazza San Marco and the ...View
Venice: Doge Pietro Tradonico and the Island of Poveglia in the Venice lagoon
The Island of Poveglia, in the Venice lagoon, is considered by paranormal experts as one of the world’s most haunted places, normally...View
Padua: Donatello’s Altar in the Basilica of St. Anthony in Padua
When visiting the city of Padua a not-to-be-missed monument is the magnificent Basilica dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua, a Francisc...View
Venice: The Secret Garden of Ca 'Morosini del Giardin in Cannaregio
Unknown places & works
Venice is a magical city for many reasons, amongst them are its many hidden gardens that few are aware of! One of the most secret and f...View