The loggia of the fish market in RialtoUnknown places & works
The loggia of the fish market in Rialto
One of the sites recommended for those visiting the city of Venice is definitely the Rialto market. It is in fact the oldest part of the city and home to the city market since 1097. Here, once it was possible to buy all kinds of food, exotic oriental spices and fabrics.
The Fish Market is the heart of the Rialto market, as Venetian cuisine is based on fish.
The loggia that houses the Rialto fish market looks ancient but it was actually built in 1907 in a neo-Gothic style by the architect Domenico Rupolo; often those who go there to buy fish, do not pay particular attention to the capitals or the colourful stalls of the columns supporting the perimeter of the New Fish Market. Each capital is in fact different and carved by Rupolo on a design by painter Cesare Laurenti (his name is engraved in the capital).
At the centre there are four heads representing the authors of the work (including the signature of Rupolo); in one of the side columns some boats with large baskets called vieri are carved, used to keep the fish in fresh water, in other capitals there are different sea creatures, such as crabs, lobsters, fish, octopus, scallops, bovoli, crabs and seahorses but not only: in fact there are also floral and sailing emblems (like the rose of the winds) but also esoteric symbols (sun, moon, stars), typical of the beginning of '900, a decidedly Symbolist era.
A visit to the Rialto market is included in the route of two thematic private fascinating itineraries, the Casanova Tour and Seductive Venice Tour...Why? At one time in the early morning, after the transgressive nights of the Carnival, the young Venetians used to gather among the market stalls...
Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe
Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...View
Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district
The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...View
Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'
Mysteries & Legends
Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...View
Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese
We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...View
Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden
Unknown places & works
Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...View
Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal
Mysteries & Legends
One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...View
Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona
One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...View