The Temple of Canova in PossagnoBig Names
The Temple of Canova in Possagno
Possagno is a small town in the province of Treviso famous throughout the world for being the birthplace of one of the greatest all-time sculptors, Antonio Canova.
Despite his international fame and the fact that he had moved to Rome, Canova always remained very attached to his birth town.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the old parish church of Possagno badly needed restoring... Canova had been repeatedly invited by the community to finance the costs of the works and so, already before 1812, had presented a project to rebuild the church.
The family heads, however, were reluctant to support the huge costs of the new building. Canova took therefore the decision in 1818 to rebuild the church of Possagno completely at his own expense. His idea was to create a grandiose circular building with an atrium or pronaos, a clear reference to the Pantheon in Rome, but with Doric columns, such as those of the Parthenon in Athens.
On the 11th of July of that year, the inhabitants of Possagno cheered their compatriot for the laying of the first stone.
Canova never managed to see his work completed because he died on 13th October, 1822. According to his will, the work was entrusted to his half-brother Giovanni Battista Sartori and, in the following years, the original project underwent some changes, also to make extra room to house the Pietà sculpture and the artist's tomb.
Finally, in 1830, the temple was concluded and on 7th May, 1832 it was solemnly consecrated by the Sartori himself, who had meanwhile become bishop. The fact that it is dedicated to the Trinity is not accidental, but is a reference to the altarpiece of the main altar painted by Canova himself for the old parish church.
The beautiful town of Possagno is one of the legs of our private tour of the Treviso area from Venice ... Book your excursion online and visit the city of the great Antonio Canova with convenient and private transfers to and from Venice!
Venice: Prospero Alpini and the discovery of coffee in Europe
Everyone knows about coffee, the energizing and hearty drink consumed by millions of people every day! We Italians are great coffee dri...View
Venice: The bridge of Fists in the Dorsoduro district
The Bridge of Fists, located in the Dorsoduro district, owes its name to an ancient tradition of Venice: the War of Fists. The inhabita...View
Venice: The red stone of the 'Sotoportego de la peste'
Mysteries & Legends
Walking around Venice along the narrow streets and across the squares, you could happen to notice strange slabs on the pavement... whic...View
Treviso: Mr. Carnevale’s confetti factory in Paese
We all know what confetti is! It is little pieces of colored paper that are thrown into the air during the course of carnival celebrati...View
Padua: The biodiversity garden in the Padua Botanical Garden
Unknown places & works
Founded in 1545, the Botanical Garden of Padua is the oldest botanical garden in the world to be still in its original location; it cov...View
Venice: The relief of the man with the pipe at Palazzo Loredan on the Grand Canal
Mysteries & Legends
One of the oldest buildings on the banks of the Grand Canal is Palazzo Loredan, built in the 13th century and currently seat of the Tow...View
Verona: The equestrian monument at Cangrande della Scala in Verona
One of the most famous people in the history of Verona is surely Cangrande della Scala, Lord of Verona from 1308 to 1329, the year of h...View