What happened on April 25 in VeniceAlmanac of Venice
What happened on April 25 in Venice
According to the Venetian Liturgical Calendar, the Saint of the Day is St. Mark, Evangelist, Patron Saint of Venice
It is the First Feast of Saint Mark, the Doge goes to Mass escorted by the Scuole Grandi.
It is Church Feast and Palace Feast.
April 25 at the time of the Republic: during the banquet at the Doge's Palace, Risi and Bisi is served, with early Lumignan peas.
- April 25, 68: St. Mark is martyred in Alexandria in Egypt.
- April 25, 1684: the Venetian Serenissima Republic joins the Holy League in preparation for the Morea war, to gain back its territories; the treaty was signed in the presence of the new Doge Marcantonio Zustinian and the Imperial Ambassador, Count of Thurn.
- April 25, 1722: the "campanon de Candia" falls down without breaking from the bell tower of Saint Mark.
- April 25, 1785: an arson attack breaks out in the Arsenal; investigating the incident, the Republic discovered the Loggia dei Freamassoni in Rio Marin, which was defeated shortly after.
- April 25, 1851: Cardinal Jacopo Monico dies in Venice; born in Riese, he was parish priest in S. Vito di Asolo and bishop of Ceneda, as Patriarch of Venice he held up the high office with firmness and moderation in the difficult moments of the epic resistance of 1848-49.
- April 25, 1912: 'As it was, where it was', Mayor Filippo Grimani inaugurates the new St Mark’s Bell Tower. 'El Paron de Caxa' had collapsed on the morning of July 14, 1902, and immediately it was decided to rebuild it, the first stone was laid on April 25, 1903.
- April 25, 1933: inauguration of the car bridge over the lagoon called 'del Littorio', renamed 'della Libertà' after the war; its construction had begun on July 7, 1931.
- April 25, 1936: In the splendid Ca' Rezzonico, on the Grand Canal, the Venetian Museum of the 1700s is inaugurated, the exhibition was curated by Nino Ballantini and Giulio Lorenzetti. The building, designed by Baldassarre Longhena, had a troubled start due to changes in ownership, and the works lasted from 1649 to 1758.
Taken from 'Almanacco di Venezia -1600 anni ab Urbe còndita' by Andrea Gersich and Edoardo Rubini
Venice, 2th April 2021
Venice: 10 songs that will make you think of Venice
Did you know that...
Sometimes we hear the first few lines of a song and our minds are suddenly transported back to a place, a memory or a dream. We put tog...View