What happened on March 24 in VeniceAlmanac of Venice
What happened on March 24 in Venice
According to the Venetian Liturgical Calendar, today is St. Simon of Trent’s Day
- March 24, 1435: Marsilio da Carrara, son of Francesco Novello, former lord of Padua, is hanged on the gallows after being subjected to torture; after his father and brother had also been killed by the Republic, he continued to conspire to regain possession of the territories in Padua, but he is captured on March 16 of the same year and sentenced to death.
- March 24, 1451: two hundred Dalmatian subjects, residing in the city, gather in the hall of the Ospedale di Santa Caterina dei Cavalieri Gerosolomitani, and found the Confraternita fra Dalmati, whose patron saints are St. George St. Tryphon and St. Jerome. During the 1500s, the Scuola di San Giorgio dei Schiavoni was painted by Giorgione with his famous cycle of canvases. Thanks to an exception to the Napoleonic decrees, the Scuola was one of the few institutions to maintain its status and heritage.
- March 24, 1867: in the district of San Pietro di Castello, calle San Gioachin, a joint assembly was held of those who practiced the profession in the private squeri scattered around Venice together with those who worked in the Arsenale quays, with the aim of setting up a Mutual Aid Society. The drafting of a specific Regulation laid the foundations for the future improvement of the adopted set of rules.
- March 24, 1919: a convoy escorted by the Italian Navy formed by ships of the Austrian fleet enters St Mark’s bay, given that these units were assigned to the Kingdom of Italy by the Paris Peace Treaty: these are Admiral Spaum, Prinz Ferdinand, Tatra, Csepel and battleship Tegetthoff, with its twelve 305mm guns; part of the dismantled structures are put up for auction, the wooden teak structures of Tegetthoff are used to furnish the Trattoria 'Antica Carbonera' in Venice and two anchors of the Tegetthoff and Viribus Unitis are exhibited at the entrance of the Naval History Museum.
- March 24, 1980: Mayor Mario Rigo signs the twinning protocol between Venice and the Chinese city of Sozhou.
Taken from 'Almanacco di Venezia -1600 anni ab Urbe còndita' by Andrea Gersich and Edoardo Rubini
Venice, 24th March 2021
Venice: 10 songs that will make you think of Venice
Did you know that...
Sometimes we hear the first few lines of a song and our minds are suddenly transported back to a place, a memory or a dream. We put tog...View