PADOVA URBS PICTA: guided tour of the places nominated for the UNESCO’s World Heritage List
Why choose this experience?
|1||To discover the Padova Urbs Picta, the set of sites that preserve Giotto's masterpieces and his vast heritage that are a candidate for inclusion in the 2020 UNESCO’s World Heritage List|
|2||Because you can fix with the guide the places to include in your visit and time of departure according to your needs|
|3||To take benefit from the experience of a local tourist guide of Padua, who can reveal the best of these sites and answer any question or curiosity you have|
This tour has been already booked by 8 people
all year round, except 25 and 26 December, 1 January, 1 May and other unexpected closing days of the sites included in the itineraries because of events, exhibitions or force majeure.Departure point:
to be agreed
- Itineraries 1 and 2 – opposite the ticket office of the Civic Museums of the Eremitani.
- Itinerary 3 – opposite the Basilica of Sant'Antonio.
From Tuesday to Sunday
To be agreed based on the opening/closing times of the sites.
€160.00 per service, for a 2-hour guided tour.
€65.00 per hour for any additional hours.
approx. 2 hours
PLEASE NOTE: the voucher issued at the end of the booking must be printed and presented at the time of the visit.
There will be no refund in case of NO-SHOW (non-attendance at the start of the tour at the allocated time and at the meeting point indicated on the voucher) and/or rejection of the service on the day; if customers wander off during the tour; or if they decide to leave the tour before the end of the service.
The visit inside the Scrovegni Chapel lasts 15 or 20 minutes depending on the time of the day: keep in mind that, before entering the Scrovegni Chapel, it is necessary to stay for about 15 minutes in a clearing room in order to stabilize the internal microclimate before entering the Chapel itself. Access is divided into time slots and limited to a maximum of 25 people per time slot.
Times and tickets of the sites included in the itineraries
Keep in mind that the cost of the tour includes only the guided tour service; entry tickets must be paid for by you directly on site or booked online independently. You will receive all the necessary information once the route of the guided tour has been agreed upon.
Cappella degli Scrovegni - every day from 9.00 to 19.00
- Adult € 13.00 (also includes admission to the Civic Museums of the Eremitani).
- Concession € 8.00 for card holders of: ADA or WWF, AIDO, Friends of non-Padua Museums, Italian Red Cross, ITALIA NOSTRA, EMPLOYEES OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF PADOVA presenting a badge, MUSME entrance ticket (within 1 month from the visit).
- Special concession ticket € 6.00 for children from 6 to 17 years, students up to 26 with card or university exam book, groups of at least 10 people, members of associations with institutional, socio-cultural and humanitarian purposes, over 65 EU citizens, holders of cards: ACI, ACLI, AICS, AIED, AREAARTE, ARCI, ASSOCIAZIONE DI.SEGNO, ASSOCIAZIONE FANTALICA Padova, ASS. WORKERS INTESA SAN PAOLO, CULTURAL ASS. NUOVA GIUSTIZIA CRAL PIEMONTE, NATIONAL ASS. FIRE BRIGADES, ASSOTURISMO Veneto / CONFESERCENTI of the Central Veneto, AVIS, CAMPER CLUB INSIEME, CAMPERLIFE, CAPIT, CASSA MUTUA OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF PADOVA, CITY SIGHTSEEING - Holders of the ticket NUMISMATIC PATAVINA CIRCLE, COINCARD, COMFOP NORD - Command Operative Forces Nord Army - Salomone Barracks Prato della Valle Padua, SILVER CARD Municipality of NOVENTA PADOVANA, CLUB PLEINAIR, CLUB SKIRA, CRAL HOSPITAL COMPANY of Padua, CRAL ULSS 6 recreational club, CRAL MUNICIPALITY OF PADUA, CRAL Municipality of PONTE SAN NICOLO ', CRAL INFN (National Institute of Nuclear Physics) of Padua, CRAL ESCALIBUR, CRAL INPS PADOVA, EDENRED TICKET RESTAURANT with Edenred ART paper coupon or downloadable from Edenred site, EMERGENCY, FAI Padua and National (FAI FAMILY = spouses + children up to 18 years ), FEDERAZIONE ITALIANA CAMPEGGIATORI, GREENSTOP 24, ISIC (International student / teacher card - International Youth Travel Card / International Teacher), LEGAMBIENTE, L IBRERIA FELTRINELLI - MULTIPLE AND MORE CARDS, IBS LIBRARY, VENETO ORDER OF PSYCHOLOGISTS, DANTE ALIGHIERI SOCIETY, APS ART LOSS, TOURING CLUB, TRA - Treviso Art Search, TRALALTRO Arcigay, UNIVERSITY OF CAMPONOGARA, UNIVERSITY OF LEISURE OF THE RIVIERA DEL BRENTA, UISP, UNPLI (National Union of the Pro Loco of Italy).
- Concession € 1.00 for children up to 5 years, people with disabilities and 1 carer, ICOM card holders
- Special SCHOOL concession € 5.00 for groups of students accompanied by their teachers
Musei Civici agli Eremitani - every day except Monday, from 9.00 to 19.00
Chiesa Church of the Eremitani
Sundays and holidays from 9.00 to 12.30 and from 16 to 19.00
weekdays from 7.30 to 12.30 and from 15.30 to 19.00
Sundays and holidays from 10.00 to 13.00 and from 16.30 to 20.00
weekdays from 8.15 to 18.45.
Palazzo della Ragione - from Tuesday to Sunday
- from 1 February to 31 October from 9.00 to 19.00
- from 1 November to 31 January from 9.00 to 18.00
Adult € 6.00
Concession € 4.00
Schools € 2.00
Free: children up to 5 years, people with disabilities, journalists, guides
Battistero della Cattedrale - from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00
- Adult € 3.00
- Concession € 2.00
Basilica di Sant'Antonio
until 4 October from 6.20 to 19.45
from 5 October from 6.20 to 18.45
- Saturday and Sunday from 6.20 - 19.45
Oratorio di San Giorgio - from Tuesday to Sunday from 09.00 to 13.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00
- Adult € 3.00
- Concession € 2.00
- Free for children up to 5 years, people with disabilities and carers, members of religious orders, armed forces, tourist guides, group leaders.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure that may prevent the tour already purchased to run regularly (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures, serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute), the tour might be cancelled. The customer will be notified of this as soon as possible and will be asked to choose between postponing the tour on the first date available or receiving a prompt refund of the price paid for the tour, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
In the past Padua was known as Urbs Picta, the painted city ... Today, Padova Urbs Picta, or rather the set of sites that preserve Giotto's masterpieces and his vast heritage, is a candidate for inclusion in the 2020 UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
But which are the sites of Padova Urbs Picta? With the collaboration of our trusted local tourist guide, we have designed three itineraries to discover the extraordinary pictorial cycles that made Padua the world capital of 14th century painting. These are private guided tours, during which the guide will be at your complete disposal turning this tour into a truly unforgettable experience!
We need to go back to the beginning of the 14th century, when Giotto was called to Padova to paint frescoes inside the Basilica of San Antonio. At that time the artist was already well known in Tuscany, where he was heading a workshop of artists and assistants. Unfortunately, his works in the Basilica del Santo were destroyed by a fire ... Padova, however, is where the Scrovegni Chapel can be found, considered his highest masterpiece, commissioned by the rich family of bankers of the same name during his time in the city.
Despite his brief stay, Giotto left an artistic legacy in Padova that changed the future of art history in the area: artists were inspired by the great master throughout the 14th century, advancing his studies on perspective, realism, the emotional depictions of characters, light and colors.
Our Padova Urbs Picta tour wants to introduce you to some of these frescoes: although they are located in different places in the city, in their entirety they form a one-of-a-kind and coherent itinerary which cannot be missed by those visiting the city of Padua!
The candidacy of Urbs Picta Padova for UNESCO includes eight sites: Cappella degli Scrovegni, Palazzo della Ragione, Basilica del Santo, Oratorio di San Michele and Oratorio di San Giorgio, Cappella della Reggia Carrarese, Battistero della Cattedrale and Chiesa degli Eremitani. These sites greatly differ from one another but are united by the efforts to preserve and enhance their extraordinary historical and artistic heritage to ensure it is passed on to future generations in all its immense splendor.
To design the itineraries of this fascinating guided tour of the Padova Urbs Picta we have selected the monuments that, based on their proximity and suitability, could be included in guided tours lasting two or three hours... Let's discover them together!
1 – Cappella degli Scrovegni + 14th-century section of the Civic Museums of the Eremitani or Chiesa degli Eremitani
Cappella degli Scrovegni needs no great introduction: an absolute masterpiece of Giotto's genius, it is entirely frescoed with scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin, prophets and allegories that enchant visitors under the starry blue sky of the vault.
The Pinacoteca on the first floor of the museum houses a rich overview of Venetian painting from the 1300s to the 1700s. The visit will focus in particular on 14th century artists and works, such as the Giotto's cross and paintings by Guariento.
Instead of the Pinacoteca, you can decide to visit Chiesa degli Eremitani, which houses the remains of frescoes by 14th century painters, such as Guariento and Giusto de Menabuoi, and the remains of Andrea Mantegna's cycle of 15th century frescoes.
Duration: 2 hours
2 – Cappella degli Scrovegni + Palazzo della Ragione or Battistero della Cattedrale
In addition to Cappella degli Scrovegni, Padova Urbs Picta encompasses two additional masterpieces that were produced thanks to Giotto's great legacy.
The ancient seat of the city courts of Padua, Palazzo della Ragione is the largest hall in Europe unsupported by columns, famous above all for its inverted ship's-hull roof. Inside there is a late 14th century pictorial cycle with a unique theme: the passage of time, represented through the twelve months of the year, together with astronomical and astrological symbols and the actions of man under the influence of the stars.
The Baptistery, which you can include in the itinerary instead of Palazzo della Ragione, houses what is considered Giusto de 'Menabuoi's greatest masterpiece, the spectacular Paradise of the dome. On the walls, instead, there are depictions of stories of St. John the Baptist and episodes from the life of Jesus.
Duration: 2 hours
3 - 14th century painting at the Basilica del Santo + Oratorio di San Giorgio
Inside the Basilica of Sant'Antonio, the visit will include the chapel of Blessed Luca Belludi and that of San Giacomo: the first was frescoed by Giusto de 'Menabuoi while in the second, composed of a rectangular room opening into the Basilica with five acute arches on red marble columns, the walls are completely covered by frescoes jointly painted by painters Jacopo Avanzi from Bologna and Altichiero from Verona.
The Oratorio di San Giorgio is located in the churchyard of the Basilica del Santo. The interior was beautifully frescoed by Altichiero da Zevio with scenes from the life of Christ and Mary, episodes from the Legend of Saint George and Stories of Saint Catherine and Saint Lucia.
Duration: 2 hours; 3 hours if you also want to include the Scrovegni Chapel
Join our Padua UNESCO World Heritage Sites tour led by an expert local guide! A unique tour encompassing art, history and emotions to discover the 14th century treasures of the city of Padua!
Botanical Garden and Padua historic center: private guided tour between art and science
Burchiello Cruise among the Villas of the Brenta Riviera