PADUA URBS PICTA: guided tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Frescoes Cycle
Why choose this experience?
|1||Discover the treasures of Padova Urbs Picta, a Unesco World Heritage Site, such as the Scrovegni Chapel and the other 14th-century frescoes housed in the buildings of the historic center|
|2||Choose from three different itineraries and agree on a starting time based on your needs with your guide|
|3||You have an expert local guide at your disposal for the entire duration of the tour|
This tour has been already booked by 7 people
all year round, except 25 and 26 December, 1 January, 1 May and other unexpected closing days of the sites included in the itineraries because of events, exhibitions or force majeure.Departure point:
to be agreed
- Itineraries 1 and 2 – opposite the ticket office of the Civic Museums of the Eremitani.
- Itinerary 3 – opposite the Basilica of Sant'Antonio.
- Once your booking has been confirmed, download the voucher which we will also send to you via email. You will need to present it at the starting point, either printed or on your smartphone.
- Locate in time the meeting point (Map) to avoid being late, especially in the event of strikes, demonstrations or bad weather: we cannot guarantee any refund (total or partial) if you do not show up at the meeting point at the agreed time or if you decide to leave the experience before its end. If you need assistance, feel free to contact us at the emergency details shown in the voucher!
- COVID-19: to participate in the tour you need to wear a face mask. Please don't forget yours!
- Your tour around the inside of the Scrovegni Chapel lasts 15 or 20 minutes depending on the time of the year. Before entering the Chapel you must stop for about 15 minutes in an airlock in order for the internal microclimate of the chapel to stabilise. Admission is divided into time slots and limited to a maximum of 25 people per time slot.
- The tour ticket includes only the guided tour service; entrance tickets to the various monuments must be purchased on site or booked online independently. You will receive all the necessary information once the guided tour route has been agreed.
TIMETABLES AND TICKETS OF THE PLACES INCLUDED IN THE ITINERARIES
Scrovegni Chapel - every day from 9.00 to 19.00
- Full price: €13.00 (including the entrance ticket to the Eremitani Civic Museums).
- Reduced: € 8.00 for the following card holders: ADA or WWF, AIDO, Friends of Museums outside Padua, Italian Red Cross, ITALIA NOSTRA, EMPLOYEES OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF PADUA upon showing the magnetic badge, MUSME entrance ticket (within 1 month from the visit).
- Special reduced: € 6.00 for children from 6 to 17 years old, students up to 26 years old with a valid student ID card, groups of at least 10 people, members of socio-cultural and humanitarian associations, over 65 EU citizens, the following card holders: ACI, ACLI, AICS, AIED, AREAARTE, ARCI, ASSOCIAZIONE DI.SEGNO, ASSOCIATION FANTALICA of Padua, ASS. INTESA SAN PAOLO WORKERS, CULTURAL ASSOCIATION NEW JUSTICE CRAL PIEDMONT, NATIONAL FIRE BRIGADE ASSOCIATION, ASSOTURISMO Veneto / CONFESERCENTI of central Veneto, AVIS, CAMPER CLUB INSIEME, CAMPERLIFE, CAPIT, CASSA MUTUA DELLA CAMERA DI COMMERCIO DI PADOVA, CITY SIGHTSEEING - card holders of CIRCOLO NUMISMATICA PATAVINA, COINCOPze Operative Forces North Army - Salomone Barracks Prato della Valle Padova, SILVER CARD Municipality of NOVENTA PADOVANA, CLUB PLEINAIR, CLUB SKIRA, CRAL COMPANY HOSPITAL of Padua, CRAL ULSS 6 recreational club, CRAL MUNICIPALITY OF PADOVA, CRAL Municipality of PONTE SAN NICOLO ', CRAL INFN (National Institute of Nuclear Physics) of Padua, CRAL ESCALIBUR, CRAL INPS PADOVA, EDENRED TICKET RESTAURANT with Edenred ART paper coupon or downloadable from the Edenred, EMERGENCY, FAI Padova and Nazionale website (FAI FAMIGLIA = spouses + children up to 18 years of age), FEDERAZIONE ITALIANA CAMPEGGIATORI, GREENSTOP 24, ISIC (International Student/Teacher Card - International Youth Travel Card/International Teacher), LEGAMBIENTE, LIB RERIA FELTRINELLI - CARTA PIU’ E MULTIPIU’, IBS LIBRARY, VENETO ORDER OF PSYCHOLOGISTS, SOCIETA’ DANTE ALIGHIERI, SORSI D'ARTE APS, TOURING CLUB, TRA - Treviso Ricerca Arte, TRALALTRO Arcigay, UNIVERSITA’ POPOLARE DI CAMPOGNARA, UNIVERSITA’ DEL TEMPO LIBERO DELLA RIVIERA DEL BRENTA, UISP, UNPLI (National Pro Loco Union of Italy)
- Special discount for SCHOOL groups: € 5.00 for groups of students accompanied by teacher
- Reduced: € 1.00 for children up to 5 years, disabled people and 1 companion, ICOM card holders
Eremitani Civic Museums - every day except Monday, from 9.00 to 19.00
Church of the Eremitani
holidays from 9.00 to 12.30 and from 16 to 19.00
weekdays from 7.30 to 12.30 and from 15.30 to 19.00
holidays from 10.00 to 13.00 and from 16.30 to 20.00
weekdays from 8.15 to 18.45.
Palazzo della Ragione - from Tuesday to Sunday
- from February 1 to October 31 from 9.00 to 19.00
- from November 1 to January 31 from 9.00 to 18.00
- Full price: € 6.00
- Reduced: € 4.00
- Schools: € 2.00
- Free: children up to 5 years old, disabled people, journalists, tour guides
Baptistery of the Cathedral - Tuesday to Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00
- Full price: € 3.00
- Reduced: € 2.00
Basilica di Sant'Antonio
until October 4 from 6.20 to 19.45
from October 5 from 6.20 to 18.45
- Saturday and Sunday from 6.20 - 19.45
Oratorio di San Giorgio - from Tuesday to Sunday from 09.00 to 13.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00
- Full price: € 3.00
- Reduced: € 2.00
- Free: for children up to 5 years of age, disabled and carers, religious, military, tourist guides, group leaders.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures,serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute) the service you booked might be cancelled. If this should happen, you will be informed as soon as possible and, according to the type of service you booked, you will have the possibility to choose between postponing the service on the first date available or receiving a total refund of the price paid, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
In the past, Padova was known as Urbs Picta, the painted city... Today Padova Urbs Picta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site thanks to the splendid pictorial cycle that winds through eight buildings in the historic center, including the Scrovegni Chapel frescoed by Giotto.
Join our guided tour to discover the wonderful frescoes that made Padova the world capital of 14th century painting and allowed it to be included for the second time - the Botanical Garden has long been a World Heritage Site - in the list of UNESCO heritage sites.
Choose among three tour routes specially designed to allow you to admire some of the highest and most representative expressions of the pictorial itinerary in about two hours.
ITINERARY 1 – Scrovegni Chapel + 14th century part of the Eremitani Civic Museums or the Eremitani Church
The Scrovegni Chapel needs no introduction: an absolute masterpiece of Giotto's genius, it is entirely frescoed with scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin, with prophets and allegories that enchant visitors under the starry blue sky of the vault.
The Pinacoteca on the first floor of the museum houses a rich overview of Venetian painting from the 1300s to the 1700s. The visit focuses in particular on the 14th century artists and works, such as the Giotto cross and the tables by Guariento.
You can alternatively decide to visit the Church of the Eremitani instead of the Pinacoteca. This Church houses the remains of frescoes by 14th century painters such as Guariento and Giusto de Menabuoi, and the remains of the 15th century fresco cycle by Andrea Mantegna.
Duration: 2 hours
ITINERARY 2 – Scrovegni Chapel + Palazzo della Ragione or Baptistery of the Duomo
In addition to the Cappella degli Scrovegni, Padova Urbs Picta continues in two masterpieces that owe a lot to Giotto.
Palazzo della Ragione is the largest hall in Europe, famous above all for its overturned ship hull-shaped roof. Inside there is a late 14th century pictorial cycle with a unique theme: the passage of time, represented through the twelve months of the year, together with astronomical and astrological symbols and the actions of man when under the influence of the stars.
The Baptistery of the Cathedral, which you can choose instead of Palazzo della Ragione, houses what is considered the greatest masterpiece by Giusto de’ Menabuoi, the spectacular Paradise of the dome. The walls depict stories of the Baptist and episodes from the life of Jesus.
Duration: 2 hours
ITINERARY 3 - The fourteenth century painting at the Santo + Oratorio di San Giorgio
Inside the Basilica of Sant'Antonio, you will visit the chapel of Blessed Luca Belludi and that of San Giacomo: the first was frescoed by Giusto de’ Menabuoi while the second, composed of a rectangular room which opens onto the Basilica with five pointed arches on columns in red marble, had its walls completely frescoed thanks to an important collaboration between the Bolognese painter Jacopo Avanzi and the Veronese painter Altichiero.
The Oratory of San Giorgio is located in the churchyard of the Basilica del Santo. The interior was beautifully frescoed by Altichiero da Zevio with scenes from the life of Christ and Mary, episodes from the Legend of St. George and Stories of St. Catherine and St. Lucia.
Duration: 2 hours; 3 hours if you want to also include the Scrovegni Chapel.