The treasures of Torcello Island: tour with local guide
Why choose this experience?
|1||Discover the evocative island that saw the beginning of Venice’s civilization and that preserves a unique charm|
|2||Together with an expert local guide, learn about the history of Torcello and the monuments and historical remains of this ancient island|
|3||To spend a few hours away from the chaos of the historic center of Venice, in what was once the 'capital' of the North Lagoon|
- € 0.00
This tour has been already booked by 32 people
All yearDeparture point:
In front of Locanda Cipriani, Santa Fosca square, Torcello
- Once your booking has been confirmed, download the voucher that will also be sent to you via email. You will need to show it at the boarding point, either printed or on your smartphone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the departure time.
- Locate in advance the meeting point on the map to avoid arriving late especially in the event of strikes, demonstrations or bad weather: we cannot guarantee you any refund (in full or in part) if you do not present yourself at the meeting point at the specified time or if you decide to leave the experience before the end. If you need assistance, feel free to contact us at the emergency contacts shown in the reservation voucher.
- This is a collective tour, which means there might be other participants going on the tour with you, up to a maximun of 30 participants.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures,serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute) the service you booked might be cancelled. If this should happen, you will be informed as soon as possible and, according to the type of service you booked, you will have the possibility to choose between postponing the service on the first date available or receiving a total refund of the price paid, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
The treasures of the Torcello island, Venice, is a truly special tour in a location steeped in history. A peaceful island, with lush vegetation, Torcello was once the first and most populated settlement in the lagoon, founded around the 7th century by populations arriving from the mainland as they fled the barbarian invasions.
Over the centuries, however, all working activities were slowly transferred to nearby Venice and Torcello underwent a slow but unstoppable decline: today it is an island covered in allotments with just over a dozen inhabitants. However, an inestimable archaeological heritage remains that you will visit together with an expert local guide.
The visit to Torcello
During our tour lasting about an hour and a half you will visit:
- Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta: founded in 639, it is a perfect blend of art and spirituality, as well as a precious testimony of the glorious past of this very evocative place. Inside you will be awed by the splendid 13th-century mosaic and its golden background representing the Virgin and covering the entire central apse of the basilica!
- Church of Santa Fosca: it is located next to the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta and it probably dates back to the 11th century. Inside you can see the remains of the dome which collapsed in 1117 and the 'Santa Fosca dormiente', one of the most valuable Venetian wooden sculptures.
- Baptistery of San Giovanni Evangelista: only a few ruins remain of Torcello’s baptistery which can be seen right in front of the Basilica. Excavations carried out at the end of the 19th century established that the original plan was octagonal, just as we can see it today.
- Church of St Mark the Evangelist: In 828 a church with a basilica plan with three naves was erected dedicated to St. Mark the Evangelist but, with the passage of time, it fell into disrepair and ended up being forgotten. At the beginning of the twentieth century, in the park behind the Basilica, right on the remains of the ancient church of San Marco, a small chapel was built, still visible today. In that same area, recent archaeological excavations have brought to light the apse of the ancient church.
- Devil's Bridge: a bridge around which an ancient legend revolves that sees as protagonists a young woman, a witch, the devil ... and a cat. We cannot tell you more, our guide will tell you the mystery that still surrounds this peculiar bridge today, one of the only two bridges in Venice to maintain the ancient structure without a parapet.