Unusual Perspectives of St. Mark's Basilica: guided visit of the Museum with access to the terrace
Why choose this experience?
|1||Admire St. Mark's Basilica from several incredible perspectives accompanied by an expert local guide.|
|2||Take a close look at the precious mosaic tiles that decorate the vaults and the older ones housed in the Museum.|
|3||Enjoy a breathtaking view of St. Mark's Square thanks to special access to the terrace of the Basilica. See the famous four original bronze horses that were brought to Venice from Constantinople, now housed in the Museum of San Marco.|
- € 0.00
This tour has been already booked by 1,402 people
Until 24 March 2023Departure point:
TURIVE kiosk, located on Calle larga de l'Ascension, near the St. Mark's Post Office, behind Correr Museum
- Once your booking has been confirmed, download the voucher that will also be sent to you via email. You will need to show it at the meeting point, either printed or on your smartphone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before the departure time. There a member of staff will check your voucher and give you instructions.
- This is a shared tour, which means there might be other participants going on the tour with you.
- Suitcases, backpacks or large bags cannot be carried into the Basilica: do not bring them with you if you want to take part in this tour.
- Access to St Mark’s Museum is via a rather steep staircase, therefore the tour is not recommended for wheelchair users and/or people with mobility impairments.
- If you want to continue your visit to the Museum of San Marco on your own, let the guide know before leaving the museum, as it is not possible to return once you have exited.
- Locate in advance the meeting point on the map to avoid arriving late especially in the event of strikes, demonstrations or bad weather: we cannot guarantee you any refund (in full or in part) if you do not present yourself at the meeting point at the specified time or if you decide to leave the experience before the end. If you need assistance, feel free to contact us at the emergency contacts shown in the reservation voucher.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures,serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute) the service you booked might be cancelled. If this should happen, you will be informed as soon as possible and, according to the type of service you booked, you will have the possibility to choose between postponing the service on the first date available or receiving a total refund of the price paid, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
This guided tour of the Museum of St. Mark's Basilica will make you discover one of the most iconic places in Venice from a different point of view than the customary guided tours. The itinerary is designed to let you admire the architecture and works of art of the Basilica from some unusual perspectives: a unique experience, enriched by the explanations, anecdotes and interesting facts of the expert tour guide.
Inside the Basilica, an ancient staircase takes you to the upper floor: from this viewpoint you will admire the magnificence of the mosaics, while the guide will tell you about the origins and history of the Golden Basilica. You will also be able to gaze at the ancient marble floor of the naves from above, decorated with plant and animal motifs, whose religious and sometimes even magical meanings it will be fun for you to discover.
In the Museum of St Mark’s Basilica you will appreciate masterpieces from the past such as the ancient mosaics collected in cassine, the sculptural 'Madonna with child' by Jacopo Sansovino, Byzantine designs, Isfahan carpets, Burano lace items, the beautiful tapestries of the Passion and those with the stories of San Marco. Not to be missed in particular is the ancient icon of the ‘The Nursing Madonna’ and one of the most beautiful masterpieces of Venetian art, the 14th century Pala Feriale by Paolo Veneziano.
Now it's time for the last unusual perspective: the terrace of St Mark’s Basilica from where you can admire one of the most beautiful views of the heart of Venice, St Mark’s Square. The guide will show you the main monuments of what Napoleon Bonaparte called the 'most beautiful drawing room in Europe'.
Finally, you will see the famous original St Mark's Horses, which once stood on the top of the church facade, and are now kept in the Museum.
Full-day tour to Murano, Burano and Torcello from St Mark's area