Unusual Perspectives of St. Mark's Basilica: guided visit with access to the terrace
Why choose this experience?
|1||You will admire St Mark’s Basilica from several dazzling perspectives accompanied by an expert local guide: you will not only visit the marvelous interiors of the naves, but also gain rare access to the upper floor and the terrace with breathtaking views of St Mark’s Square.|
|2||A unique experience allowing you to observe up close the precious St Mark’s Basilica mosaics adorning its vaults and domes.|
|3||You will marvel at the sight of the four majestic original bronze horses that arrived in Venice from Constantinople, now kept inside St Mark’s Basilica Museum, whose entrance ticket is included in the tour.|
- € 0.00
This tour has been already booked by 64 people
From 27 December 2019 to 28 March 2020Departure point:
San Marco, Piazzetta dei Leoncini (standing in front of the Basilica, it is the small square to the left of the church. The tour leader will be waiting for you between the statues of the two lions).
- After the confirmation of your booking, you can download a voucher, which will also be sent to you via email. Please remember that you will be requested to show it, either a paper copy or on mobile devices. Make sure you have it with you!
- We advise you to arrive at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before the departure time specified.
- Baggage, backpacks or large bags are not allowed inside the Basilica. Before you arrive at the meeting point, remember to deposit any bags at the Ateneo San Basso in Calle San Basso, a narrow street that starts from Piazzetta dei Leoncini, located to the left of the façade of St Mark’s Basilica. Storage is free of charge for those visiting the Basilica but please allow sufficient time to do so.
- Access to St Mark’s Museum is via a rather steep staircase, therefore the tour is not recommended for wheelchair users and/or people with mobility impairments.
- This is a shared tour, which means there might be other participants going on the tour with you, up to a maximum of 25 participants.
- At the end of the guided tour you can remain inside the Basilica and continue the visit on your own. Please note that St. Mark's Basilica closes at 5.00 pm.
- During religious functions, exceptionally high tides or special events and celebrations, access to St Mark’s Basilica might not be possible and consequently the tour may not take place regularly.
- Unfortunately you cannot be refunded (neither totally nor partially) if you don’t show up at the meeting point at the time indicated on the voucher or if you leave before the end of the tour.Therefore we advise you to locate in advance the meeting point and how to get there in order to avoid being late or any inconveniences that would prevent you from being on time, especially in case of public transport strikes, great events or bad weather. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at our emergency contacts indicated on the voucher you will get at the end of the reservation.
In exceptional cases and/or reasons of force majeure (i.e. acts of nature, strikes, exceptional closures,serious unexpected events or health problems experienced by the person in charge with the service after which it is really impossible to find a substitute) the service you booked might be cancelled. If this should happen, you will be informed as soon as possible and, according to the type of service you booked, you will have the possibility to choose between postponing the service on the first date available or receiving a total refund of the price paid, if the cancellation policy of the service itself allows a refund.
A visit to St Mark’s Basilica is a must for those who come on holiday to Venice and an in-depth guided tour is the best way not to miss one of Venice’s most famous landmarks.
Unlike the many guided tours encompassing a visit to the Golden Basilica, we, as true insiders, have designed a different itinerary thanks to our experience and passion for this historic monument.
Our new tour ‘Unsual perspectives of St Mark’s Basilica: guided visit with access to the terrace’ will lead you to admire St Mark’s Basilica from different viewing points that cannot be missed!
The tour of St Mark’s Basilica interiors in Venice will start from the famous Piazzetta dei Leoncini, the meeting point with the local guide who will accompany you to discover the history, architecture, art and many small interesting facts that make Venice’s Basilica one of the most beautiful and interesting treasures in the world.
As soon as you cross the entry to the atrium, you will not resist lifting your gaze to the ceiling: a glittering expanse of golden mosaics (in St. Mark's Basilica the mosaics extend for 8,000 square meters) will lead you to the interior of the church with its aisles. St Mark’s Basilica mosaics depicting stories from the Old Testament are followed by those from the New Testament in a succession of scenes and colors resembling an immense illustrated book. The soft light combined with the splendor of the mosaics and the incense fragrance will make your experience highly evocative and unforgettable. Here the guide will take you back in time, to the dawn of Venetian history, telling you about the fascinating events that the Golden Basilica went through.
Visiting St Mark’s is always a great experience: during the tour of St Mark’s Basilica inside you will contemplate the masterpieces from the past and their interesting iconographic representations such as the famous golden domes, the iconostasis, the ciborium, the main altar housing the tomb of St. Mark the Evangelist, to whom the church is consecrated, and many other wonders that make St Mark’ Basilica one of the world’s monuments with the highest variety and concentration of artistic and architectural styles.
You will continue your visit to St Mark’s Basilica, leaving the ‘Earthly World’ of the naves to ascend into the ‘Heaven’ represented by the vaults and domes flooded with golden light. A steep but evocative staircase will lead you to the first floor, housing the Museum of St Mark, where a surprising view from above of the inside of St Mark’s Basilica will open before your eyes: you will be able to admire the magnificence of the mosaics, observe the details of each individual tile and appreciate the changes of styles and see the many represented biblical scenes. You will be awed by the intricacy of the mosaic making technique that our guide will explain to you!
Another opportunity that this special perspective offers is the possibility to admire from above the ancient floor of the naves and their marble decoration with a variety of plant motifs including images of animals, and you will learn about their religious, and often magical, fascinating meaning.
But there is one final unusual perspective: St Mark’s Basilica terrace where, in the shadow of the copies of the famous horses, you will admire one of the most beautiful views of the heart of Venice, St Mark’s Square. The guide will show you the main monuments of what Napoleon Bonaparte called the ‘most beautiful drawing room in Europe’.
The last and equally spectacular stage of our guided tour will be the visit to the original St Mark’s Basilica Horses that once stood on the upper part of the church facade. The Quadriga Domini had to overcome a long and insidious journey between land and sea, travelling through cities and empires... and if you hear folks’ beliefs, you will discover that the Quadriga of St Mark does not really enjoy a good reputation ... it seems it brings bad luck! The reason? You can only find out with our special visit to St Mark’s Basilica!
This tour lasts approximately one hour, the ideal time for those who want to learn about the history, art and traditions of this extraordinary monument thanks to the explanations of our local guide.
At the end of the tour you can stay back in order to visit the St Mark’s Basilica Museum at leisure – the entrance ticket is included in our guided tour of St Mark’s Basilica - admire once again the splendid panorama of the Piazza from the Basilica’s Loggia or return to the ground floor to enjoy in no hurry every corner of this precious jewel of the Venetian lagoon.
Shared Gondola Ride and St Mark’s Basilica Skip the line Guided Tour
St Mark's Square Express: Short Guided Tour to St Mark's Square and its Most Famous Sights